account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

My cheek/ear selects things on touch screen while taking calls. Proximity sensor problem?

Apprentice
Message 1 of 25
Message 1 of 25

My cheek/ear selects things on touch screen while taking calls. Proximity sensor problem?

Hello all

Had my X3 Compact for a couple of months now and really liking it.

APART from the fact then when I am on a call the screen still seems to be a little sensitive to touch.

I hear beeps of things being selected. Very often when I finish the call I see the screen is on Notifications or Quick Settings screen, or sometimes the Date and Time screen. Sometimes I notice that my cheek/ear has turned on Bluetooth from the Quick Settings screen.

Sometimes while on a long call (ie more time in which to involuntarily press things) the other person will suddenly not hear me anymore - no doubt due to imprecise cheek/ear selection!

Is there something wrong with the Proximity Sensor? I have tested the Sensor with the available diagnostic and it seems functional. And my peripheral vision tells me that the screen goes black as I raise the phone to my ear.

I've heard that this model can occasionally overheat, but I've never noticed/felt any dramatic peaks in temperature.

But something is clearly wrong.

As I said I have tested the Proximity Sensor.

I have not dropped or damaged my phone.

I do not use any kind of screen protector or case.

My software is up to date.

Any thoughts/ideas would be very welcome!!

(I have contracted the phone the EE in the UK - I have not contacted them yet as I thought it would be best to go straight to the manufacturers.)

Thanks very much

Jamie

24 REPLIES 24
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 25
Message 2 of 25

Re: My cheek/ear selects things on touch screen while taking calls. Proximity sensor problem?

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

If you are not using any kind of screen protector or case, I suggest that you boot your phone into safe mode to see if you experience the same behaviour when receiving/placing calls:
https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-boot-your-phone-into-safe-mode/m-p/348008

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 25
Message 3 of 25

Re: My cheek/ear selects things on touch screen while taking calls. Proximity sensor problem?

It may also happen if you during the call remove the phone from your ear, tilt it so the display is facing up and then put it back again. If you cover the proximity while display is facing up it will not turn off the display as it thinks you want to use it. Could this be the case? It may perhaps happen if you want to put the phone between your ear and shoulder.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 4 of 25
Message 4 of 25

Thanks Rickard and Hampus

I'll certainly try booting into safe mode and seeing how it behaves then.

As for the proximity sensor's behaviour while the display is facing up, that's just not how I usually hold the phone when on a call - and I never do the ear-phone-shoulder sandwich thing.

Also what you say seems strange to me, as when I did the proximity sensor diagnostic test the phone was on  a flat surface with the display facing up - and the sensor seemed to work perfectly.

Hmm. I don't know.

I'll get back to you after I've tried the safe boot thing.

In the meantime, has anyone else noticed this problem? It's pretty irritating!

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 25
Message 5 of 25

It's usually not an issue as you would need to have an ongoing call and cover the sensor while display is facing up but thought i'd mention it as it may happen. The proximity still works when display is facing up so you will not see any issue when running the diagnostic. It's just that it will not turn off the display during a call in this condition.

Please try Hampus suggestion and keep us updated. Safe mode starts the phone without loading any 3:rd party apps so it will show if the issue may be caused by a downloaded app.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 25
Message 6 of 25

@HussaMix

The reason why it doesn't turn off the display when the display is facing up is because it thinks you want to use the phone. The proximity is sensitive and and it may hard to use the phone during a call if it was always active (display goes on/off as you unintentionally trigger the sensor when using the display).

The display will still be off if you tilt it during call while proximity is triggered. It's only if you trigger the sensor during a call while the display is facing up that it will not lock the display.

If you see it as an issue you can go to Settings -> Accessibility and disable "Power button ends call". Then turn off the display manually with the on/off button.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 7 of 25
Message 7 of 25

Right. I've been using my phone for a while now in Safe Mode, and it has made no difference to this particular issue.

I still, at worst, hear bleeps and select things to the point that the call is interrupted; and at best finish a successul call to find that I'm in the Time/Date select screen, and have to press Back several times before I can access the End Call button.

And, to address the other potential cause mentioned, I never flip the orientation of the phone while taking a call.

So if Safe Mode rules out the possibility that some App is responisble for this, does this then mean that there is a fault with my handset?

Any further help would be appreciated, as I don't want to have to put up with a faulty phone.

Thanks.

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 25
Message 8 of 25

Well I have been facing this issue since the first day itself and this isnt any issue at all!!

What happens is when we answer a call, out phone isnt in lock state and also we arent holding our phone constantly in one position to our ears/cheeks so theres rubbing of the screen (due to our ears/cheek) which eventually swipes down the Status bar Quick settings and then randomly turns on any feature icon our ear.cheek touches. And we keep hearing some beeps. Face with stuck-out Tongue

So what I do is once I answer a call I always make it a point/habit to manually lock the phone via Power button. This way I have found my personal solution to this problem. :smileysmileythumbsup:

And this is the only solution for this nagging issue

Also if you want, you can completely remove all icons which bother you from Quick settings so that even if your phone isnt locked while on call, nothing will get activated in the background. Nauseated Face

So follow my steps and enjoy your Z3 without worrying about this issue.

-------- If my Post or Answer helped you out, Please KUDOS me Slightly smiling Face
Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 25
Message 9 of 25

I'm afraid it sounds like there's something wrong with your phone in that case.

From what i can see here, you already have the latest software version in your phone but you may want to try to reinstall the phone software using PC Companion but please note that this will reset your phone and delete all your data.

If the issue should still remain I think that this needs to be examined and fixed at a repair center. For more information about how to submit your phone for repair and where, contact your local support team.

Adviser
Message 10 of 25
Message 10 of 25

The problem is still there even when holding the phone vertically during the call and in direct contact with the ear.

I have found an 8 pages thread on Xeria Z2 forum since May 2014 talking about the same problem, and it's still unsolved even in a the newer Z3 !!!

What's the point of having a supersmart phone water resistant and with two days battery life if it can't do the very basic function of amobile phone; making a successful Phone call !

It keeps pressing keys/ muting/hanging up when contacted with cheeks during calls, sometimes even if the screen is off, and sometimes the screen switches on suddenly even with the phone unmoved during the call, i guess the light sensor overrides the proximity sensor and wakes the screen up again maybe when it senses light at certain angles !? I dunno.

Same situation is in safe mode, "tap to wake up" is off.