account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

How to remove a google account

SOLVED
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

How to remove a google account

Hi,

I have a google account on my phone that was my school's email, because I did not create this email so once I logged in I could not delete it off my phone. Now that I have finished school it has been expired but it is still stuck on my phone with me logged out and unable to permantly delete it. I have a notification telling me I need to log in again and I can't get rid of it. How can I get rid of it? It is getting really annoying and in the way of my other noticfications. I have tried going into accounts but I can't do anything from there.
Please help!
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

Re: How to remove a google account

Hi again!

If you don't have the option to delete the account when tapping the 3 dots, I'm afraid the only solution to delete the account from the phone is either to perform a factory reset in Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset, or performing a software repair using Xperia Companion.

Do note that all data on your internal storage will be deleted when factory resetting or repairing the software in your phone, so creating a backup using Xperia Companion beforehand is recommended.

Let me know if you managed to get the account deleted!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

16 REPLIES 16
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Hi @DJChook,

That must be very frustrating. Slightly frowning Face

If you go to Settings > Accounts > Google, can you see the account here at all, or does it only show your current Google account? If you can see it here, tap on the email address > 3 dots > Delete account.

If you can't delete it in here but you can see it, there may be a device administrator keeping the account active, so go into Settings > Security > Device administrators and see if any of the small boxes to the right are marked > unmark them and go back to Settings > Accounts > Google and try deleting it.

The log in notification may be from an application that you signed into using your old Google account, do you remember if you signed in with it in for example, Google Photo, Lifelog, Spotify, Hangouts or a similar application? Then you will need to log out from the account from inside the application.

Let me know how it goes! Slightly smiling Face

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

You have to go in a little further when you see the sync button in accounts, if you select it, then it'll take you to the sync section that has the option to remove account
//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

@NeoBeum, You are correct, thanks for noticing! Slightly smiling Face

The correct path is Settings > Accounts > Google > email address > 3 dots > Remove account.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

I have tried this but it does not come with the option to delete it

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

Hi again!

If you don't have the option to delete the account when tapping the 3 dots, I'm afraid the only solution to delete the account from the phone is either to perform a factory reset in Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset, or performing a software repair using Xperia Companion.

Do note that all data on your internal storage will be deleted when factory resetting or repairing the software in your phone, so creating a backup using Xperia Companion beforehand is recommended.

Let me know if you managed to get the account deleted!

One time poster
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

This was the best advice on this page. Thank you. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

Hi @WaterProofWonder, you're very welcome! Slightly smiling Face

Have a great day and let me know if there is anything else!

Apprentice
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

Thanks Jonas,

I was tearing my hair out with this one then I read your great post.

Job done!

Cheers m'dear.

One time poster
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

I was suffering, till by mistake I click on the mobile Menu itself and It show a menu with remove account.

Accounts > Google > Click the Account you wish to remove (Uncheck all the markes) Click on the Burger menu on the mobile) a Menu will appear with Sync now or Remove account