account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

GPS not working on Z3 compact

SOLVED
Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

GPS not working on Z3 compact

GPS functionality seems to be completely busted on my new Z3 compact.

Any application that uses GPS just hangs at "waiting for location" indefinitely. I have tried Google maps, GPS Status, Runkeeper, etc. For testing I switched location to "device only", the network based location does work.

Have tried disable&enable GPS, hard reboot, even did a factory reset in the end. Nothing helps.

Does GPS work for other Z3 compact users? Is my hardware actually bust?

Antti

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Visitor
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Re: GPS not working on Z3 compact

Hampus,

What I tried to say below is that "device only" DOES NOT work.

Or rather DID NOT work, it seems that my problem was simply the fact that I was trying to use GPS indoors. I believe I have previously used GPS devices within buildings and they have worked at least to some extent, so I couldn't believe that I wouldn't get any kind of fix with the Z3C - but it seems that that was the case. Outdoors GPS works ok, getting the fix is pretty fast and the location looks accurate.

So: user error Slightly smiling Face, thanks for taking the time!

Antti

6 REPLIES 6
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

I've tried the GPS and it works fine for me. And the GPS seems to work fine for you too if the location mode "Device only" works. There might be something fault with the network that you are using. I suggest that you try another SIM-card in your phone and/or when you are connected to a Wi-Fi network. You can also take a look at the following FAQ-topic:
http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/GPS/m-p/351902

You can also contact your network provider to see if there are any faults in the network itself.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Hampus,

What I tried to say below is that "device only" DOES NOT work.

Or rather DID NOT work, it seems that my problem was simply the fact that I was trying to use GPS indoors. I believe I have previously used GPS devices within buildings and they have worked at least to some extent, so I couldn't believe that I wouldn't get any kind of fix with the Z3C - but it seems that that was the case. Outdoors GPS works ok, getting the fix is pretty fast and the location looks accurate.

So: user error Slightly smiling Face, thanks for taking the time!

Antti

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Haha okay, good to hear that it was solved easily! :smileysmileythumbsup:

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Same problem with mine after only one month of use.
Learner
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

I have the same problem. The Sony support said to send the device to the local service center. Someone solved this problem? it's hardware or software?

Apprentice
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Seems to be software, as most occurrences happen after recent  Android updates. But still no solution...after 3 years? sad...