account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Epic Battery Draining

Learner
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Epic Battery Draining

The last week or so my z3 compact has started loosing ridiculous amounts of battery.

I close all apps when not using my phone,and have Bluetooth and WiFi on, this has always been the case so no change to how I use my phone.

The extent if loss is obscene, I unplugged from charger at 8:30 this morning and by 2pm I had 4% battery left. Note the phone was in my locker not being used in that time.

Any ideas what is going on?  

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Epic Battery Draining

Hi @ASmurf, welcome to our forum and sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

A good place to start is to charge the device to 100% and then use it as you would normally do down to around 10-15% and then go into Settings > Battery > Show battery usage.

This will show you a list of applications/services that has used the battery since the last full charge and you can see if there is anything that stands out here, for example an application or service that you have not even used during this charge.

Another great way to see if this is caused by a downloaded application is to restart the device in a mode called safe mode. This is a mode where downloaded applications are not loaded, but they are not deleted, so you will not lose any data. If you have your device in your locker a lot, you can write down the battery percentage >  reboot it to safe mode before you put it in the locker > take it back out and see if there has been any change.

I hope that helps! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Hi, thanks but that was no help. Nothing stands out as using much power.

The phone is also running a bit hot, and quite slow .

There's also an issue that recently started with the swipe down function, but only when the phone is unlocked ..  .

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Hi again @ASmurf!

There was no change while it was rebooted in safe mode either, is that correct? Usually when the device runs a bit hot, it's either that you are charging the device, using a very heavy application, such as a playing a game, or that some application is running in the background and requires a lot of CPU power (which it shouldn't be doing).

Regarding the swipe down function, is it somewhere specific on the display, for example the notification bar? There is a very good touch test that you can do in the test menu of the device that you can find if you open up the application called "Phone" and then type in *#*#7378423#*#* > Service tests > Touch > Free drawing test.

Keep me posted!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Learner
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Ok, so in normal mode Microsoft outlook app uses highest amount of battery, very closely followed by android system. Battery goes from 100% to dead in about 4-5hours 

In safe mode majority is used by android system, but still only lasted 6-7 hours.

The touch test looks like the top few mm aren't responsive. Note, I can swipe down my navigation menu when on the lock screen , just not when phone is unlocked.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Hi again @ASmurf!

The Outlook app shouldn't really use that much battery, but it depends on how much you have used it of course. Email applications mostly just synchronize to check if any new Emails has been received and you then get a notification, but this should not use that much battery. For example, I use the pre-installed Email application and I have received quite some Emails today, but it has only 1% battery.

Regarding the touch screen. As far as I know, the touch area is a bit bigger when you are on the lock screen, so that would explain why you are able to access it there, but not when the device is unlocked.

As there wasn't any big improvements to the battery life in safe mode either, try performing a software repair using Xperia Companion and see if that helps.

Do note that when doing this, all data stored on the internal storage of your device will be deleted, so creating a backup before you start with the repair is advised.

Feel free to keep me posted and have a nice weekend.

Learner
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Screenshot_20190517-140619.png

Screenshot_20190517-140612.png

These 2 screen shots show all battery use, but only add up to approx 30%, the other 70% of drain is unaccounted for. My phone has been in my locker all morning with the exception of about 10Min when I checked whatsapp....