account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Copy and paste - can't copy parts of a SMS message

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Copy and paste - can't copy parts of a SMS message

Thinking Face I'm getting really frustrated with the copy part of copy/paste within a SMS. In the SMS -

If I tap on any number or word = nothing happens (if nothing is underlined),

If I tap on a number underlined = I get the option to phone or skype??

If I double click = nothing happens,

If I do a long press I the options to:

1. COPY MESSAGE TEXT
  2. FORWARD MESSAGE
  3. COPY MESSAGE TO SIM CARD
  4. DELETE MESSAGE
  5. VIEW MESSAGE DE TAILS
  6. ADD STAR

If I want to copy some text (e.g. phone number, address, anything else) but not the whole SMS I cannot find a way to do it.

Anyone else having this problem with SMS messages? Sometimes you need to extract info from the SMS to paste into an entry box on a website for example or to add to contacts etc.

Can anyone help? Crying Face

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Copy and paste - can't copy parts of a SMS message

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to copy parts of a text message in the pre installed messaging application. But if you press a number, you can open it with the phone application and copy the number from the dialer. And if you want to copy an URL, you can open the page and copy it from the URL-field.

If you want parts from a text message, my best suggestion would be to copy the text into a notepad or similar and edit the text. Thereby, you can copy it with the text you want included.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

7 REPLIES 7
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to copy parts of a text message in the pre installed messaging application. But if you press a number, you can open it with the phone application and copy the number from the dialer. And if you want to copy an URL, you can open the page and copy it from the URL-field.

If you want parts from a text message, my best suggestion would be to copy the text into a notepad or similar and edit the text. Thereby, you can copy it with the text you want included.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Ah, would this be the Notes app that Sony inexplicably removed from the Z3 series and is now nowhere to be found?

Or, you know, instead of all that silly hoop jumping, Sony could just take the trouble to implement select & copy for text messages so it works the same as in all other apps. Just sayin.

Learner
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for your work around but this is not a slick operation is it?.

Also, if you receive someone's number as 01234 567890 and you try to select it, it only selects one half due to the space.

WE NEED THE OPTION TO SELECT ANY CHARACTER(S) and place onto the clipboard.

BTW, I changed the default SMS message app to Hangouts just in case it handled SMS differently but it doesn't.

Come on Sony, sort this out!

Apprentice
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Text selection IS missing. It is a small thing to implement to make lives, or experience of you need a buzz word, better.
Adviser
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Hi

I have a Z5 Dual with latest firmware upgrade. You can copy the number but does not bring up the dial tone.

Think this is a major miss and UE blunder.

Regards

Sujith

Rookie
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

UPDATE: correction in CONS POINT-3:

Sony plz pardon for repost .. plz delete prev one.

I just stumbled upon this thread.. yes i would also want this from SONY! the creators of PS2, PS3, PS4 operting systems creators. Lemme share a better workaround anyone has proposed here! .. but i fear sony might not take is another excuse to keep its obscure.. Sony your ethics will tell! .. anyway here i go...
Copy SMS > open DIALER > Open DIAL PAD > PRESS and HOLD thumb/finger on white empty space just above the buttons [1] [2] [3] > You'll get popup PASTE > click PASTE > it will only let the NUMBERS gets pasted !!! > u can and then click before/after the desired phone number appearing right infront though little concealed because of clutter numbers before and after. Now remove invalid numbers before and after your desired phone numbers take few seconds most times even this is not required yes when SMS had the number only and not address etc also (BACKSPACE button is just aboe the "[3] DEF" dialpad button)

Now about PROS & CONS of XPERIA phones:

CONS:
1. DCIM ... naming the camera images pictures keeps starting from 001 with every backup/offloading .. instead using timestamp as part of filename
2. Picking phone number frmo SMS... total fail... current way around ... copy whole SMS > Paste in DIALER > remove leading and trailing invalid chars > DIAL
3. Sending phone contact in SMS as TEXT only .. even SMS makes a .vcf attachment instead of inline/body flat text.
4. Dev Tools option keeps reseting the processes limit with every restart
5. Granting other sony sensor users higher rting sensor while throtling own phones of same time. my T2 Ultra has IMX135 sensor while other phones of same time have higher model
6. Battery with XA ULTRA was throtled to 2600mah because Marshmallow was "mistakenly" anounced by google as 30% more battery efficent. Sony quickly throtled the experience for own savings.
7. OTA OS updates are very restricted. AOSP to the rescue though
8. Homescreen clock can NOT be resized

PROS:
1. Water damage resistance ... lost Huawie in flish, T2 Ultra got dropped in same flush but survived!!!!!
2. Sound Quality epic
3. Built quality / ergonomics / technocratic looks / Edges / Curves / Love Lines / Sleekness
4. fraction of bloatware/clutre Vs samsung phones
5. AOSP builts/builds are another lifeline for its phones getting old.
6. "LTE Only" seems only available in SONY phones .. maybe cuz of Ericsson modems
7. Keep screen on while looking at a pic or video.. epic enginuity ... no custom screen timing apps required!
8. Screen Ceramic is shatter proof ... not just Scratch Proof ... even before Gorilla Glass was decieving consumers by concealing Shatter Proofness is a thing.

Rookie
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

one more CON:

9. Cannot pull down notification bar in Picture/Video Shoot Mode i.e. in VIEW FINDER mode while taking pic. Even while just watching fullscreen album preview/pics you have to be very proficient to first comming down rubing the thumb down from SONY logo area plastic above screen and keep thumb pressed and rubbing down entering the screen actual screen edge > this will still only make appear the 1-row notofication mode > now again lift the thub and make second rubbing down gesture to open the notficiation bar fully. I have TOUTER app shortcut in POWER TOGGLES APP to customize the Notification Bar to quickly blast the brightness. **bleep** even android's own notification bar (android's native BRIGHTNESS SLIDER) is not accessable there i.e. while in VIEW FINDER mode