account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Can't select MTP mode Broken Screen

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Can't select MTP mode Broken Screen

Can't select the MTP mode when I connect my phone because the screen is damaged, so the PC Companion software cannot access the phone. Is there any posibble way to navigate or select the MTP mode without an OTG cable that I don't have and if I get one I had to disconnect the phone to connect the cable and if I do that once I connect it again will ask me again to select one of the four modes, MSC, MTC, MIDI, etc.

Already try to access it in flash but it is not working and I think is because, first, is not rooted and second, debuggers mode is off.

Someone can help me with this? any comments or something.

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
Genius
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Can't select MTP mode Broken Screen

OTG cable is mostly a simple usb cable, nothing different.. You could then do like this: Connect via otg a mouse, activate the Bluetooth and then try to pair a Bluetooth mouse, once you got the Bluetooth mouse paired with your phone disconnect the USB one and connect your phone via USB to your computer, use the Bluetooth mouse to activate mtp and then perform backup via companion! Tricky but it works Grinning Face

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Visitor
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

thanks, going to try that, bit tricky but it should work.

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

@YoGem's suggestion is good. but you can actually navigate the UI, with OTG and a wired mouse, if you don't have a bt mouse.

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
Genius
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Hi @Mook666,

I see you've already received some suggestions here Slightly smiling Face

Note that if you've updated your device to Android Marshmallow you will need to go to Settings > About phone > Version > Tap the Build number until it says you are a developer > Go back to Settings > Developer option > Select USB Configuration > Select MTP. This so that your computer can read the files from your phone when you connect it.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

You sir are a legend!

Genius
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

Happy to help Slightly smiling Face

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

oh my god you are a legend! 

thank you

Genius
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

Hello @lamby67 and welcome to the community!

Thank you Slightly smiling Face 

One time poster
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

The above advice ref. OTG cable to set developer mode ( 7 clicks in build box) but it didn't work for me until I set the 'Allow USB debugging' option also. After this you can backup the phone despite the phone still asking for you to choose the MTP mode ( as screen is cracked and only one USB slot so can't connect OTG lead).