account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Bluetooth won't stay connected to Macbook?

SOLVED
Inhabitant
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Bluetooth won't stay connected to Macbook?

At the weekend I flattened my phone using PCC but still have an issue with Bluetooth.

I love the Smart Lock feature and at work I want to use my work Macbook Pro as a device.

The phone and Mac will pair without issues, but a few seconds after pairing the Mac shows my phone as not connected and the phone can't add the Mac as a device and there appears to be no options to force it to connect. It does the same every time I Forget the Mac and re-pair.

Any thoughts as to why it won't stay connected?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Re: Bluetooth won't stay connected to Macbook?

I don't have any 3:rd party tags to test with i'm afraid but Smart Lock is a part of Google Play Services so i suspect it will work with most tags. When using NFC, you will need to touch the tag every time you want to unlock though.

A bluetooth speaker on your desk could be an option as well but the phone will use that as sound output by default (you can disable call audio for it). But also bluetooth might have a long range. Up to 100m or so depending on the device and environment.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

I'm afraid the Google Smart lock feature will not work with all bluetooth devices. It depends on what type of device it is.

When you pair the phone with another phone or a computer, there will normally not be any "idle" connection. Bluetooth will only connect when you want to use the connection for something (for example when you send a file or share the internet connection).

A bluetooth headset will however work as it uses the headset or handsfree profile where you keep the connection even when you're not in a call.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Hmm, seems a little odd that you can't pair it with a computer for this purpose as I assume all desktop/laptop Bluetooth implementations will behave like this?

Is there some action over Bluetooth I could use to force the connection long enough to use it?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Generally, yes. You need a software or app that creates and keeps a connection automatically but i'm afraid i don't know of any software that will do this for Mac. Trusted location could perhaps be an alternative if you want to keep the phone unlocked at work?

Inhabitant
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Many thanks Slightly smiling Face Too many people in the building and because it's accurate to maybe 80m, it's also next door to a bus station so don't want it unlocked around there Slightly smiling Face

My next thought was NFC. Can I just use the NFC tags you can buy from amazon etc or do I have to program them with something first?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

I don't have any 3:rd party tags to test with i'm afraid but Smart Lock is a part of Google Play Services so i suspect it will work with most tags. When using NFC, you will need to touch the tag every time you want to unlock though.

A bluetooth speaker on your desk could be an option as well but the phone will use that as sound output by default (you can disable call audio for it). But also bluetooth might have a long range. Up to 100m or so depending on the device and environment.

View solution in original post

Inhabitant
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the help Rickard. I read about the NFC tags and trying to decide if it's actually quicker for me Slightly smiling Face

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

If you are interested in a wearable device a Android Wear device like SmartWatch 3 would work for bluetooth unlock. I also tested it with my SmartBand 2 and this also works. SmartBand 1 will however not work with this feature.

Inhabitant
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Excellent, many thanks Slightly smiling Face

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Go to System Preference

SystemPref.jpg

Then choose 'Sharing'

Share.png

Unlock to make changes

FIleSharing.png

Finally, tick the box with 'Bluetooth Sharing'

fileSharing2.png

That should be you sorted. G'luck!