account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Backup Problem - Freeze

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Backup Problem - Freeze

Android 6.0.1

Starting about two-three weeks ago, i've noticed that automatic backup on SD Card is not working.

Backing-up Applications freeze always at 50%.

I tried a back-up via Xperia Companion, i choose only 'Settings' and 'Other', and somehow 'Other' is freezing.

What can be the cause? How can I investigate?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Re: Backup Problem - Freeze

Problem solved! (08.01.2017)

Launching Xperia Companion, i have updated to last version (1.9.2.0), and try to backup only Other, like usually update failed, but this time indicating me the application causing the failure.

I have uninstalled the app (My Vodafone in my case), and after that i successfully made a full backup of everything both on Sony Device (using standard backup app) and using Xperia Companion.

So, thanks Sony for the update of Xperia Companion, nice job!

7 REPLIES 7
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Hi @Kiu_RO,

I'm sorry to hear this. Slightly frowning Face

It sounds like there is something in your device that cannot be backed up if it only works when you don't include the other category. I have requested more information regarding what is included in the Other category, I will let you know when I know more. Slightly smiling Face

When you do a backup to your SD card, have you tried to uncheck the box for apps? Does the same thing happen then?

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Is something very strange...

Last successful backup on SD Card, was on 12.09, all items checked

(i have scheduled automatic backup at 7 days, and starting from that time, nothing successfully).

Always at Applications, at 50% freeze.

Unticking Application check-box, create the backup with no problems.

I've tried to unninstall some apps, trying to imagine what app i have installed after 12.09, but it's more like a "guess" process, not something correct.

I don't know how to investigate at that percent 50 in fact what app is causin the freeze.

Or, do i have the possibility with a third app to investigate the exact date when a new app was installed. I'm thinking to try to disable all apps installed after that date, and to see if this solve the freeze problem at 50%.

Any help on this matter is really appreciated!

Thanks

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Very strange situation: i also try to manually create a backup, only 'Applications', and i've changed the location, this time online account, not SD Card. The backup freeze from begining at 0% (not 50% as in the situation of SD Card)...

What could be the reason, is something behind blocking this...?

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

I accidentally discovered another thread similar with this, and sad to say, was marked as solved, but NONE of the solutions / ideas proposed there are in fact working... Slightly frowning Face

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3/backup-on-each-file-stops-at-50-precislely/td-p/1146888/pag...

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

The Other category performing a backup using Xperia Companion is simply all other applications that are not included in the first categories. This includes any third party application installed on the device that supports Backup & Restore.

If you experience that the backup fails when Other is selected you can try the following.

• Make sure that the software of your Xperia device is updated.
  • Unmark the Other category and try again.
  • Once this failure has happened, the device must be restarted before retrying, otherwise it is going to continue to fail any kind of backup.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

I followed your instructions, still no changes.

Backup is freezing, either on phone or via Xperia Companion...

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Problem solved! (08.01.2017)

Launching Xperia Companion, i have updated to last version (1.9.2.0), and try to backup only Other, like usually update failed, but this time indicating me the application causing the failure.

I have uninstalled the app (My Vodafone in my case), and after that i successfully made a full backup of everything both on Sony Device (using standard backup app) and using Xperia Companion.

So, thanks Sony for the update of Xperia Companion, nice job!