account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

4.7 inch screen

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

4.7 inch screen

Samsung Galaxy Alpha has a 4.7 screen. It was also known for a long time that iPhone 6 will have 4.7 screen. So why Sony went for 4.6 with Z3 Compact, seems kind of subpar. 4.7 would be a bit nicer. 

The size that I actually loved the most was Xperia Z, if you compare Xperia Z to iPhone 6: Xperia Z vs iPhone 6 size comparison

it is much the same size, but Xperia Z has bigger 5 inch screen. Original Z was perfect in size but 4.7 would be still great for me. 4.6 seems a bit low though.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Commissioner
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Re: 4.7 inch screen

What are you complaining about? There is barely a difference!

Look:

http://www.displaywars.com/4,6-inch-16x9-vs-4,7-inch-16x9

And as Swordylove says, it's a compact version. If you prefer a bigger screen, you shouldn't buy a compact version.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Learner
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

What would be the point of being a mini/compact model if they were to make it big? I suppose you're unaware that there is a non-compact Z3 with 5.2" screen for people who like bigger screen.

Commissioner
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

What are you complaining about? There is barely a difference!

Look:

http://www.displaywars.com/4,6-inch-16x9-vs-4,7-inch-16x9

And as Swordylove says, it's a compact version. If you prefer a bigger screen, you shouldn't buy a compact version.

View solution in original post

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

5.2 is huge. The difference is maybe small but now everyone compares iPhone 6 to S Galaxy Alpha just because they have exact same screen size, and Z3 Compact gets hit by being ignored.

Still 4.7 would be nicer, actually they should drop the Compact and it should just became Z3 and current Z3 should be called Max or something.

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

@naos wrote:

5.2 is huge. The difference is maybe small but now everyone compares iPhone 6 to S Galaxy Alpha just because they have exact same screen size, and Z3 Compact gets hit by being ignored.

Still 4.7 would be nicer, actually they should drop the Compact and it should just became Z3 and current Z3 should be called Max or something.

iPhone 6 is being compared to Galaxyy Alpha the most, because Samsung is much more popular than Sony when it comes to phones. It doesn't have anything to do with the negliable 0.1" difference, at all.

I am 100% sure that you would never notice a difference between 4.6" and 4.7" unless you used them side by side and actively tried to spot the difference.

Keep in mind that the size comparison that I posted, is likely enlarged on your screen so in real life, the difference would even be much smaller than on the displaywars website.

Learner
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Please. No.

It's bad enough for me that Sony is no longer making <4.5" screen phones. And barely any choice from other brands either (moreover, they're not waterproof). Even Z3's 4.6" is slightly too big for me. It's still bigger than iPhone 5, and iPhone 5 isn't even supposed to be a mini - It's supposed to be the "perfect size" (it is to me)! If anything, I'd ask them to make it a bit smaller like 4.0"-4.3".

Commissioner
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

I'm already happy that the body of the z3 compact is the same size as my 4.3" xperia acro s :p

Learner
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Yeah, it's also the same size as Z1C. But it's not just about the body size, but also how easilty your thumb can reach every corner of the screen when using one-handed. In my case, 4.3" is the max, given the bezel size of Z3C (I made my own pathetic mockup of the phone to test this).

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Well, maybe 4.6 is actually the sweet spot.