account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia Z2 (stolen? possible to find where it came from?)

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Xperia Z2 (stolen? possible to find where it came from?)

Hello, i just bought an incredibly cheap Xperia Z2 (about 400 usd) which is locked to the carrier THREE (3), i want to know if it is stolen, it works fine because i use the same carrier "3", but i dont really wanna walk around with a stolen phone. My question is, is it possible to find via the IMEI-number where the phone came from? in that case HOW? or if not, then how would you do it if you suspect having a stolen phone in your hands. I bought it from a guy in Stockholm and blinded by the beauty of the device and the price i didnt think of even asking for id or anything. 

I'd appreciate if somebody would assist me, i try to be as honest as i can and i definetly wouldn't like to lose a phone like an xperia z2. I'd be glad to return it.

Wish you all the best

Rafael Ángel Milanés

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Genius
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Re: Xperia Z2 (stolen? possible to find where it came from?)

Hi, if you click on SUPPORT in the black header at the top of the page you should find options for contacting Sony Support

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Genius
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Hi, if it has been stolen then the very first thing the original owner would do is report it to their Carrier ie 3....they would then BLOCK the Z2, this means that basically you wont be able to do anything with it ie calls/texts etc.....rendering it useless.

In my opinion if i was you...i would contact 3 & explain the situation & ask them to check it out, they would need the IMEI number......dont pass on your IMEI number to any 'on-line internet sites'.......

Good luck & i hope you did indeed get a bargain Slightly smiling Face

Rookie
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for your fast answer and aclarations, the only problem is that i have tried doing that, contacting the carrier. They say they haven't  any such IMEI-number and when i asked them where the phone came from they said they didn't know. I know for sure that this phone is locked to THREE because i've tried other simcards with no luck. I would like to know at least from which THREE company it comes from, which country at least. If it is stolen the phone will be blocked sooner or later.

Genius
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Hi, thats strange that they dont have any knowledge of the IMEI......did you take the IMEInumber direct from the phone settings or the box?????

I am fairly sure that there is a website that can check the details but as i said i would be very wary giving my IMEI number out online....

My next bet would be to try & contact Sony Xperia Care, they must have some details of the IMEI & where it was issued to etc.....

Hope this helps Slightly smiling Face

Genius
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

There is a company online called CheckMEND.......they seem to be rated very well & genuine & used by various Police Forces......have a read over what they say & if you feel comfortable give them a try..

Hopefully you are being overcautious & fingers crossed all is ok Smiling Face with Sunglasses

Rookie
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Alright, thank you for your help. I will read everything before i give my phone's identity to some website. In case i would contact sony care how would i do it? do you have a link? 'cause all this time i thought you could contact them in the forums. And yes i used the *#06*# code to acquire the IMEI number so i think that's the one. All i know is that the phone is not swedish and that makes me even more worried. It would be tricky if the phone would be blocked by the company and i wouldn't even know where to turn for help.

Genius
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Hi, if you click on SUPPORT in the black header at the top of the page you should find options for contacting Sony Support

View solution in original post

Rookie
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Well thank you dandy63 for the info, i contacted support and after some time i managed to find the person whom it was stolen from. I'll return the phone and if the universe is fair i'll be rewarded with a better one, perhaps an Xperia Z3 when it comes out. hahah 

Have a nice one

Rafael

Highlighted
Genius
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

@candela91 wrote:

Well thank you dandy63 for the info, i contacted support and after some time i managed to find the person whom it was stolen from. I'll return the phone and if the universe is fair i'll be rewarded with a better one, perhaps an Xperia Z3 when it comes out. hahah 

Have a nice one

Rafael

Hi, glad you sorted it out but so sorry that it did indeed turn out to be stolen.....such a shame, but it would probably end up having been blocked very shortly so at least the original owner got it back....hopefully a small reward will be given Four Leaf Clover

Sorry that you have ended up out of pocket, but at least you are more honourable than the dreg that sold you it...

Good luck Smiling Face with Sunglasses