account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Xperia Z2 does not update to 4.4.4

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

Xperia Z2 does not update to 4.4.4

Please help me!!

I am from Romania and I have a normal Sony Xperia Z2 phone (not rooted or locked or anything else).

There have been more than 3 monhs since the 4.4.4 update has been released and I am still running 4.4.2!!! I love Sony, but this is getting me really mad!

Will I ever get the update as Sony promised?

P.S.: I have an Vodafone SIM card inserted, if that is relevant anyway because my phone is unlocked (not by me, it is carrier-free).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Forum Legend
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

Re: Xperia Z2 does not update to 4.4.4

Yes you will - As long as you don't unlock your bootloader or root then you will have no issues - Manual flashing as per the guide does not require rooting or unlocking the bootloader

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

You can manually flash another country's firmware however to answer your question - Before generic handsets get the update the networks have to all authorise the update, I'm not saying they have to release the update but they do have to authorise it - Then Sony will be authorised to release it to generic devices - So before blaming Sony blame your country's networks or blame your network for not releasing it to you

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Learner
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

I don't understand a lot of what you mean, but you said that I can flash another country's firmware. HOW CAN I DO THAT?? Will that ruin my phone? 

You are the best member of this site if you can help me out!!!!

Learner
Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

And one more question: if I do that will I get next updates? (like lollipop)

Forum Legend
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

Create your own firmware file using this guide

Manaually flash your phone using the file you created above using this guide - (Software here as the link in the guide is wrong) but don't use the firmware file on the guide use the one from above but the rest is exactly the same

Learner
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

And one more question: if I do that will I get next updates? (like lollipop)

Forum Legend
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

Yes you will - As long as you don't unlock your bootloader or root then you will have no issues - Manual flashing as per the guide does not require rooting or unlocking the bootloader

Learner
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

Thank you so much! I'll try, even though I have never triend it before and I am a bit afraid to do it. I hope it will work and I won't do any mistakes...

Forum Legend
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

As long as you follow the guides there shouldn't be any issues - Even I had to learn how to do this and never messed up yet - Fingers crossed

Learner
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

Can you please tell me what location should I choose?