account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia Z2 USB connection is not detected (after attempting Lollipop update)

SOLVED
Inhabitant
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Xperia Z2 USB connection is not detected (after attempting Lollipop update)

Hi everybody:

I search through most topics here, including (USB Connection Problem FAQ), but found no answer to my problem. Did find the post suggestions when typing new message subject kinda nifty feature... Slightly smiling Face

Well, I was excited to receive my e-mail yesterday regarding my available Lollipop Z2 update availability. Sat down, opened PC Companion on my Windows 7 laptop, made a backup for settings (no photos or apps), and then proceeded to receive the update.

PC Companion asked me to keep phone disconnected and that it would notify me when to connect (nice too)...

I started the download, but apparently the laptop went into sleep mode (not plugged to wall), which was another reason not to have phone connected (battery drain due to Z2 charging until 100%)

The rest is blurry, but when I woke the laptop up, it stopped downloading at 51% and kept extending the duration timer.

Proceeded to restart the laptop, but when I attempted to connect the phone... nothing. It charges fine, but is never detected by laptop. The Wireless Media Transfer option was still working, but it would refuse to download Update (as if USB connection was needed). Tried installing on another PC (with admin priviledges) and no go.

Phone never started update... works perfectly with that exception. MTP, MSC, USB Debugging, nothing works). Helium doesn't work. Nothing!!!

I'm kind of mad, since the Lollipop update was not destructive (no erasing of phone data), but it seems that I will probably need to reset phone.

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Inhabitant
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Re: Xperia Z2 USB connection is not detected (after attempting Lollipop update)

Well, it seems the problem is intermittent as the PC detected the phone and I was able to update to Lollipop. Hardware problem so.will fulfill RMA. THANKS FOR EVERYBODY who pitched in. Please close thread.
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Oh, and phone wasn't locked, no anti-virus running, firewall disabled... and uninstalled PC Companion and re-installed a few times.

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Well, attempted the PC Companion "Repair My Phone/Tablet" option... Latest Update downloaded, but nothing happens after I follow all instructions and connect the USB cable to the phone while pressing VOL DOWN (USB cable already connected to PC).

LED Indicator turns green, then charging bolt shows up (almost full), then nothing.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Hi Yingian,

Did you make sure to hold the Power Key and Volume Up Key for 15 seconds before doing the instructions above, as the device needs to be completely powered down.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Inhabitant
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

I think I did past 15 seconds... As long as my fingers could hold that configuration. I remember I reset my Z1 some year or so ago, but it wasn't that hard. Phone is still not recognized via USB, no matter which data cable I throw at it.
Inhabitant
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Thinks this is hardware issue after talking to Customer Support last night... Gonna send it in.

If anybody else has any other ideas, please comment. If not, mods... Please close the thread.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the update Yingian, we hope this issue gets resolved as soon as possible.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Inhabitant
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Well, it seems the problem is intermittent as the PC detected the phone and I was able to update to Lollipop. Hardware problem so.will fulfill RMA. THANKS FOR EVERYBODY who pitched in. Please close thread.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

No problem Yingian, we hope all goes well with getting the device back.