account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

What's the chip attached to the back cover for?

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

What's the chip attached to the back cover for?

I recently cracked my back cover. I purchased an official looking replacement from Amazon and followed a YouTube disassembly video to replace it.

Once I removed the original back cover I found a circuit board/chip stuck to it's inside surface. It has 2 copper connectors that connect with 2 metal pegs just above the aerial on the main motherboard.

My new back cover doesn't have this chip, although everything so far appears to be working as normal.
Does anyone know what purpose this chip serves?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Forum Legend
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Re: What's the chip attached to the back cover for?

NFC or Near field communication - It's used to sync devices that both have NFC and it allows files to be sent like contacts etc

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Visitor
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

I should probably mention it's an Xperia Z2
Forum Legend
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

NFC or Near field communication - It's used to sync devices that both have NFC and it allows files to be sent like contacts etc

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Fantastic, thanks for your quick response. I'm relieved that it's not an essential feature, as I'm unlikely to use NFC in future.
Thanks again, Sam