account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Waterproof/Legal/warranty?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Waterproof/Legal/warranty?

my name is Virgil and I have recently purchased a sony xperia Z2, I have a question about the warranty.

I have read all the relevant documentation that has come with my phone and the only information regarding the IP rating of the device is in the "important information" booklet under the limited warranty, condition number 3 where it states "this warranty does not cover any failure of the product due to:

....... -use in environments where relevant in ratings, if applicable, are exceeded....."

My question is does that mean that if the device is operated within acceptable limits of the relevant IP ratings that the device is covered under warranty if it fails?

Technically if we operate the phone to within the accepted limits of the ip rating then they should replace it right? As it says EXCEEDED so if we do not exceed the ratings were covered? I'd like to know, not that im going to start submerging my newly bought Z2, but incase per say we get caught in the rain (we all know how much it rains here in Ireland) I work as a door to door sales person so the main reason I bought this phone was for the IP58 rating as I often get caught in rain
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Emperor
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Re: Waterproof/Legal/warranty?

ok, this is my opinion

If the user doesn't firmly closed the covers and the phone is in contact with water it might get water damaged and wont be covered (warranty), or if the phone was used in contact with sea water it might not be covered either

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Emperor
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

You should contact Sony directly on this issue

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

I already have, but I'd like to get an response from the community too, has anybody gone through the process of trying to get a water damaged Z2 repaired /replaced,

It's not so much an issue, more of an inquiry, my Z2 is in perfect health and hasnt been exposed to water but I just wanted to know, because if they won't cover the phone under warranty for water damage even within the ip rating limits as stated in the booklet and with all the flaps closed I might just buy a different phone
Emperor
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

ok, this is my opinion

If the user doesn't firmly closed the covers and the phone is in contact with water it might get water damaged and wont be covered (warranty), or if the phone was used in contact with sea water it might not be covered either

View solution in original post

Rookie
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for all the quick replies Slightly smiling Face , I'll make sure to firmly keep all the covers and ports closed when going out to work in the rain Slightly smiling Face
Emperor
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Anytime Slightly smiling Face 

One time poster
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Eventually, Z2 or Z3 is famous Xperia or not waterproof ??? If so, Why warranty does not cover a defect of the product not exceeded and waterproof IP classification is not a test of tightness (Vacuum test) products are detected by liquid penetration, making it invalidate your warranty. From what I read on the net / forum, in Romania, only those from Germanos (Sonymoble service) probably provide service to the mobile model and unjustly cancel shelf life, even though there are plenty of months to expiry of the statutory period of 24 months. I say this because the state said additional cell phone about 10 minutes in water and was kept in hand for some pictures and a short video that demonstrates this - it clearly shows a diving depth of about 50cm maximum phone + photo pool water sweet chlorine, depth of 1.5 meters, so as not to exceed IPX8 and the two flip cover/caps (for microsim / usb and memory card) were firmly closed. My phone Z2 buyed to 3 dec 2014 and after receiving the message today that we lost the guarantee for liquid penetration into the phone, I called vacuum test and I'm very curious how it will look that will test the response from Sonymobile support.

Problems before service request - only 2

Vibration function, even if it is checked in settings and alarm clock calls - does not work.
Touch screen does not work properly in applications that is necessary to press the standby button. There are times when he comes for a short but still need stand-by button after all. Unable to retrieve incoming calls for acceptance by dragging the arrow - moves only about 30% of the slider. For the alarm clock, the slide no problems.

my opinion is that water resistance is only a marketing advantage for the mobile phone market. in all advertisements Xperia IP58 is written in large letters, even underwater photos plus footage, as well as the user guide that is guaranteed to 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes, but a lame characters that guarantee is lost if liquid enters . Why not supplied vacuum test phones already made or correct some test results and published on Sonymobile to support that more than half are poorly assembled and buyers suckers they Xperia enjoy without knowing the quality of their raw !!!