account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Water inside my z2..waterproof?

SOLVED
Learner
Message 31 of 74
Message 31 of 74

Re: Water inside my z2..waterproof?

Hi.. I am a Z2 owner from Malaysia.. I did not submerged my phone under water, I just washed the front panel for about 30 seconds, the next day I realized my rear camera lense was covered with water droplets and top part of my screen was not working. I have sent the phone to the Sony Service Centre and my phone has been repaired... But I will never bring this phone near water again.. And will be very wary of Sony handphones now..
Adviser
Message 32 of 74
Message 32 of 74

I feel you, for a phone that suppose to be watertight its a little bit disappointing. I too won't use my phone in the water again. But I did know that a new released phone rarely work as it should.
Learner
Message 33 of 74
Message 33 of 74

Re: Sony z2 waterdamage with the flaps closed

@srv1 wrote:

I really don't understand people that actually take photos under water. This is not a professional device for taking pictures under water. I understand waterproof more to use it with wet hands, if somehow a rain catch you, etc.

Have you read this in operating manuals: "...Even if your device is resistant to dust and water, you should avoid exposing it unnecessarily to environments with excessive dust, sand and mud or to moist environments with extreme high or low temperatures. The waterproof ability of the micro USB port, the SIM card slot, the memory card slot and the headset jack cannot be guaranteed in all environments or conditions ...".

See now even SONY's advertisements disagree with you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYsuFWBIf3g&list=UUoOx45FcGxN7sI2xQakj0EA

Hopefully we all receive a good consumer experience from SONY.
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Talent
Message 34 of 74
Message 34 of 74

Re: Sony z2 waterdamage with the flaps closed

MikeReale, for example, have you already seen any ad for SUVs cars? They show us many a thing but we all know those cars don't have a real jeeps capability. Marketing  -  that is just the way it is, the MNE's are very 'creative'  here ...

Sorry for offtopic.

Adviser
Message 35 of 74
Message 35 of 74

Sure it' s Marketing. But they shouldn' t do this marketing if they can' t ensure the abilities advertised. But nobody would take it into a pool if it hadn' t been advertised as made for it.

Even Samsung made it' s S5 (changable battery) more Waterproof than Sony with it' s Uni Body.

Talent
Message 36 of 74
Message 36 of 74

I am sure it is waterproof, but some % of devices have problems. No manufacturer is 100% and without "faulty" devices. On the other hand, there is also possible inccorrectness in the use by the user.

But we have Sony centres and repair shops and I believe the majority of devices will be exchanged it it turns that phone has manufacturing defects.

Adviser
Message 37 of 74
Message 37 of 74

I am happy that in my Case only front camera doesn't work anymore.

I don' t think that most users are responsible when water get' s inside. How should a user see that it was tightly closed and not just closed? I think it is the main problem that flaps seem tightly closed but they aren' t.

Highlighted
Genius
Message 38 of 74
Message 38 of 74

@KevinB wrote:

I am happy that in my Case only front camera doesn't work anymore.

I don' t think that most users are responsible when water get' s inside. How should a user see that it was tightly closed and not just closed? I think it is the main problem that flaps seem tightly closed but they aren' t.

I think it is fairly easy to see if the 'flaps' are closed properly as they should be totally flush with the sides/edges although i have read of a few people who have had problems with the flaps opening slightly and even 'popping' fully open whilst in their pocket or even sitting on a desk!!!! Crying Face

Adviser
Message 39 of 74
Message 39 of 74

My flaps did never pop out itself, were totally flush and not easy to open but water drained into it. So how should i see that it' s not waterproof at this moment. :smileysmileywink:

And if they are popping out itself, Sony made bad work and has to garant warranty or give money back. It' s easy as that. Slightly smiling Face

Genius
Message 40 of 74
Message 40 of 74

@KevinB wrote:

My flaps did never pop out itself, were totally flush and not easy to open but water drained into it. So how should i see that it' s not waterproof at this moment. :smileysmileywink:

And if they are popping out itself, Sony made bad work and has to garant warranty or give money back. It' s easy as that. Slightly smiling Face

I said 'some' people have experienced the 'self popping' flaps.....not that yours did, if you do a search for the same issues reported by many (but not all) forum users, people have suffered ingress of water even tho the side flaps are tightly shut.....some people think its badly fitting screens or bezels.....the only way to determine is to ask for a vacuum test....i do agree that if the Z2 is advertised as waterproof it should be.....