account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

VPN L2TP not working // Android 4.4.3

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

VPN L2TP not working // Android 4.4.3

My vpn connection doesn't work.

Setup is: L2TP/IPSec with PSK to my private network.

Since my old device (Xperia S), which is on android 4.3.X, is still working
I don't see any configuration problems, but I guess that this is a problem with android 4.4.X

The same problem occurs on my sony tablet z since the update to 4.4.X

Is there any fix from sony?

I read about a google fix, which should be in place on version 4.4.4, but the update to 4.4.4 on the
tablet does not solve this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 14 of 17
Message 14 of 17

Re: VPN L2TP not working // Android 4.4.3

We got a test account from another user with this issue and have found the cause of this. It will be fixed in an upcoming software update.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

16 REPLIES 16
Apprentice
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Just wanted to mention, that the update to 4.4.4 on Xperia Z2 does NOT solve this issue as well Slightly frowning Face

I'm really disapointed, that sony and/or google has no fix for that since the VPN is a basic feature.

One time poster
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

Hi,

I am having the same issue with my Sony Z2 Tablet as well. L2TP/IPSEC has never worked since day 1 of my purchase. The rest of my android devices works perfectly except for my Z2 Tablet. 

Sony support staff, please work to address this issue.

Thanks!

Learner
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

And I have exactly the same issue on a z2 tablet, up to date with Android 4.4.4.

Ipsec xauth psk does not connect. However, on my z1 compact it works with exactly the same configuration. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with VPN.

Are you testing this on the same internet connection? I know some operators blocks VPN while some requires special APN-settings for this. If possible, try your Z1 Compact and Z2 Tablet on the same WiFi-network and see if it works. As i understand it, the VPN-support in our products is standard for Android so it seems strange that it works in your Z1 Compact but not in your Z2 Tablet.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

Exactly the same wifi network. I've tried both on a couple of different networks,  and the results are always the same, the z1 compact connects, the z2 tablet times out. In the end I've just installed vpncilla on thez2 tablet, and with it the ipsec VPN works. Unfortunately the trial version only works for 10 days, so I'll probably have to buy the full one soon. 

Learner
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

Doh, for some reason I have two accounts, one linked to Google (jbernardo) and the other to my older sonymobile account (jbbandos). I'll try to only comment with this one. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

Could you please send me a PM with the following information and i'll forward this internally for further investigation:

Name:
Phone nr:
E-mail:
IMEI/IDID nr:
Build number:

If possible, what VPN service you're using:

Apprentice
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

Just wanted to mention that I'm still facing this problem
and the lollipop update did NOT solve this as well . . . I was really hoping, that this will bring the solution Slightly frowning Face

I will try around and reconfigure everything from scratch, but since my laptop (windows) is working well with the vpn (synology) the config should be fine.

So: please sony, fix this!

Another possibility might be to change to cyanogenmod, but I really like the sony UI

Apprentice
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

@jbernardo:

Did you found a solution?