account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Unavailability of Sinhala Language on Android Lollipop (5.02) Update

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 101
Message 1 of 101

Unavailability of Sinhala Language on Android Lollipop (5.02) Update

Sony has revmoved Sinhala Language from their new Lollipop (5.02) update

I received my Android Lollipop (5.02) update yesterday for my Sony Xperia Z2 (D6503) and i got really dissapointed when i realized that Sony has removed Sinhala language (Unicords) from Android Lollipop Google stock update. I know for a fact that from Android Lollipop (5.00) on wards Google had relased their Android platform including Sinhala Language.  I don't know why Sony removed it intentionally, and i beleive as a big Sony fan i have a right to know! 

Sony has been a established brand in Sri Lanka for so long and even without official support there lot of people using Sony devisers. This is something unjustand unaccpetable. You will never know the feeling when you can't read your mother language on your phone. 

I beleive ability to use a prefered language is a right as a Sony user and you have taken that right from me when you removed Sinhala language from your device's new update.   I would like to show you how it shows me my language on my Sony xperia Z2. 

BBC Sinhala on my Z2 with Andoid 5.02.jpg

I'm sure any Sony user will feel the same if they had to see their language like this. Even Google traslator now support Sinhala. and removing it from my phone is unacceptable. 

I hope Sony team will take this issue seriusly and give me a positive answer. I'm begging you to include Sinhala atleast from the next update onwards. There are 20 million people speaking Sinhalese in Sri Lanka and also aroud the world. Sony has to have Sinhala. If i didn't get a positive feedback, this maybe the last time I'm buying a Sony devide again. I'm sure that feeling is mutual with every Sri Lankan. 

So please! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 78 of 101
Message 78 of 101

Re: Unavailability of Sinhala Language on Android Lollipop (5.02) Update

In the Android 6.0 upgrade, we will support Sinhala font rendering. This means that if there is Sinhala content in an application, for example when you are watching BBC Sinhala in Facebook, it will be rendered and you will be able to read it. However, the Xperia devices will not support Sinhala as a phone language. We will for example not support Sinhala menus.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

100 REPLIES 100
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 101
Message 2 of 101

This is something that has been forwarded as feedback but i'm afraid i don't know when/if this will be added.

But are you sure it's supported by default in Lollipop? From what i've been able to find, a Nexus device on Android 5.0 does not support this language.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Talent
Message 3 of 101
Message 3 of 101

Yes, New Google software 5.0 supports Sinhala Language (See the attached impage from Google site), but its strange Sony dosent include sinhala language in there Lollipop update but sinhala is available in other brands like Samsung & HTC, This is already mentioned in Sony JB update in last year but its strange to not included in stock rom only option is root, please try include Sinhala language your next lollipop update.

loll.jpg

One time poster
Message 4 of 101
Message 4 of 101

I was waiting for lollipop update because it supports sinhala language, you should know we are so disappointed because only Sony mobiles dont supports sinhala, can anyone say next update will supports sinhala or is there anyway we can make a request?
Um..and is there any release note to find out whats changed on final updates, if there please give me a link. Thank you.
One time poster
Message 5 of 101
Message 5 of 101

we were so disapponited about your work.

Learner
Message 6 of 101
Message 6 of 101

many of the other brands such as Samsung, HTC, Google Nexus, LG have sinhala working on them. why cant sony ????? highly dissaponted here. 

Learner
Message 7 of 101
Message 7 of 101

yeah pretty sure that it works on nexus . this is from a nexus 5 running android 5.0

nexus 5 sinhala

Apprentice
Message 8 of 101
Message 8 of 101

I also having this problem. I thought this problem fixed after lollipop update. most of brand like Samsung, Nexus,LG, Huawei,HTC support for sinhala language. Can you add this for next update

Talent
Message 9 of 101
Message 9 of 101

Sony please add Sinhala language feature to new update .740, we dont want to root our phones to add this feature

Learner
Message 10 of 101
Message 10 of 101

Dear Rickard, Thank you for your reply. But as you can see Google stock updated has Sinhala Language. We only ask you to include Sinhala with the Lollipop update. Please.