account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Unable to select USB mode when connecting USB cable to PC since upgrading to Marshmallow

SOLVED
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Unable to select USB mode when connecting USB cable to PC since upgrading to Marshmallow

Hi there, I'm having the problem I describe in the post title - I have tried multiple USB cables and PCs, but it always goes straight to "charging only" without giving me any choice (no notification appears). It makes no difference whether or not Xperia Companion is installed on the PC in question. I have also tried changing the USB mode setting in the developer options, but this does not have any effect. Can anybody help? I want to be able to use MTP again. Firmware version is 23.5.A.0.575.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Emperor
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Re: Unable to select USB mode when connecting USB cable to PC since upgrading to Marshmallow

@Thwomp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File%3aUSB.svg

USB cable

if you have a "USB" cable that only connects pins 1 & 4 then you will get power and no data. Likewise, if you have a cable with only 2 & 3, you will get data but no power.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

8 REPLIES 8
Emperor
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Unable to select USB mode when connecting USB cable to PC since upgrading to Marshmallow

@Thwomp

Does your computer detects the phone at all? 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

No, none of the PCs/laptops I have tried connecting to have acknowledged the device in any way. They all successfully supply charge to the device, however.

Emperor
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

@Thwomp

Could you boot in >>> safe mode and also try different cables?

Rookie
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

I have just been educated - previously I had been trying USB cables that originally came with different devices, but I have just borrowed a cable from somebody else who has an Xperia phone (I lost mine a long time ago, and had been using the wi-fi pairing feature which is now removed in Marshmallow), and this particular cable seems to work and bring up the notification (although I have to hold the cable *extremely* steady for the connection to remain active, which is odd). I assume that there must be something special about this cable - I had thought all USB cables were the same, but I guess that cannot be true now?

Emperor
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

@Thwomp

not all usb cables are the same, cheap usb cables might not work to transfer data other than charge the phone. 

Emperor
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

@Thwomp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File%3aUSB.svg

USB cable

if you have a "USB" cable that only connects pins 1 & 4 then you will get power and no data. Likewise, if you have a cable with only 2 & 3, you will get data but no power.

Rookie
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

That's very interesting, thank you very much for your help.

Emperor
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

@Thwomp

Anytime