account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Remove bloatware?

SOLVED
kru
Adviser
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Remove bloatware?

Any way to remove the following pre-installed apps?

* Facebook (given the permissions this app has, I find it obscene that it cannot be removed)
* 4 x Xperia Social Engine apps
* Music Unlimited
* Video Unlimited
* Socialife
* Social life
* SocialEngine
* Xperia with Twitter

...and others. Preferably without voiding the warranty.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kru
Adviser
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

Re: Remove bloatware?

Hey Sony, imagine how much better the battery life would be without all that crud installed...
15 REPLIES 15
Emperor
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

You have to root your phone, there's no other way around it 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

kru
Adviser
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

Does anyone from Sony post here? Curious about their official position on this...
Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

What Uliwooly has advised is correct, however we do not encourage it as you risk voiding your warranty.

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Emperor
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

You can disable the apps 

settings > apps > all > look for the app > disable 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

@kru wrote:
Any way to remove the following pre-installed apps?

* Facebook (given the permissions this app has, I find it obscene that it cannot be removed)
* 4 x Xperia Social Engine apps
* Music Unlimited
* Video Unlimited
* Socialife
* Social life
* SocialEngine
* Xperia with Twitter

...and others. Preferably without voiding the warranty.

The last major software update from Sony (issued some time ago) allowed Facebook to be removed. It is certainly not present on my Z2 now Slightly smiling Face

Like you I was mystified as to why Sony took it upon themselves to initially install Facebook as a non-removable system app .

I can see why some folks chose  to root their phones. My secondary mobile device is rooted and I take great deliight in feeding nosey applications false information about my device and location. Grinning Face with smiling Eyes

kru
Adviser
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

Hey Sony, imagine how much better the battery life would be without all that crud installed...
One time poster
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

I just came from a Samsung and at least there were apps that could disable these packages on them. I want to uninstall things like Spotify.. But I can't. I bought this phone, I should decide what goes on it. Already seriously underwhelmed by the device camera. Getting increasing depressed and starting to miss my Samsung Note 4!

Rookie
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

For heavens sakes. Why can't I remove swiftkeyboard, avg, contacts, what's new, the rotten Sony picks for video, news suite, etc. Etc??? Not only does the bloatware kill the phone, but then you have all the software you downloaded to replace it.

I think all xa1ultra owners ought to petition Sony to update phones and allow the crap to be removed. Please add a reply below if you agree.

This was my first Sony smartphone pick. It will be my last if Sony doesn't let the 100% owner of phone remove bloatware

One time poster
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

I have watched the whole process on youtube but still, i am confused with their setup. can anyone please help me?