account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Phone shuts down even though it's charged. Will not restart without being plugged in. Battery issue?

One time poster
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Phone shuts down even though it's charged. Will not restart without being plugged in. Battery issue?

Hi everyone,

I've had a Sony ZL2 SOL25 for just over a year now. Everything was fine until a few weeks ago. I upgraded to Android 4.4.2 around the same time, but this might be a coincidence.

My phone now lasts a couple of hours before shutting itself off, without warning and when there is (supposedly) charge in the battery. It also drops % randomly. From 70% to 55% over the space of 10 minutes. The maximum usage I've been able to get of the phone is 6 hours (about 60-90 minutes use, the rest it's idle). I'm not sure where the problem is: the battery, the battery information on screen, the update?

I have factory reset it twice over the last week and if anything, it's just gotten worse. I have added no apps since the last reset, not even configurated email. The problem is not only the very limited battery life, it's that the battery reading is unrealiable, I feel like I never really know what the real capacity is and when it's going to die. What I have figured out is that once it hits 50% that signals the end is near. I rarely see it go under 40%, it will usually shut down before that.

More details: This happens at any charge level, for example today it shutdown at 78%. It seemed the battery was having a good day, as I had left the house 2 hours prior and disconnected the charger at 100%, so it had "only" lost 20% during two hours (mostly idle, but about 15min with location services and 20min with facebook/browsing). I got my phone out to take a photo and noted the charge (78%) and right after taking the photo the phone just stated "Shutting Down" and the battery signal in the corner was red (couldn't read %). It would not restart, I tried several times but it wouldn't complete the start-up sequence, turning itself off in about 2-5 seconds. About 30 minutes later I managed to turn it on, it showed the charge as being 16%. I thought I had enough power to send an sms, but as it was sending it shut down again as the battery was 0% and so it turned itself off (this process between turning on and the power showing 16% and shutting down took less than 2 minutes, but the sms went through! Yay for silver linings!). About an hour later I had access to my charger and connected to the power cable, which after 10 minutes said it was at 60% charge.

I'm not sure what the solution is here, if any. Can I contact Sony in Japan? I'm half way through a contract with a Japanese provider, and their English customer support number is always busy. I tried calling again today, I was on the line for 30 minutes, all the time on hold. This ended with a recorded message saying that they were too busy and for me to call back at another time, the phone call then automatically ended, it was very frustrating.

Any ideas on what I can do? Is it possible to replace the battery on this phone? Or should I just accept that I had a good one-year run with the xperia and need a new phone?!

5 REPLIES 5
Emperor
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Phone shuts down even though it's charged. Will not restart without being plugged in. Battery is

@nevaeh

You should contact your local Xperia care, if the phone was bought at Japan then you will have to contact the Xperia care at Japan.

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Re: Phone shuts down even though it's charged. Will not restart without being plugged in. Battery is

I have this exact same problem with my Xperia Z3. So thought instead of claiming on my insurance, I would claim on my warranty. But a couple of days afterwards my screen magically got a tiny little crack at the top right hand side of the screen doesn't affect usage whatsoever. Can I repair before before failing to claim on my warranty then claiming on insurance. Currently at 67% lowest it has been for while.
One time poster
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

buddy is your problem solved? because i am also facing the same problem.

and if it is solved then how ou did that? please help me out, its really annoying..

thanks in advance...

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Hi,

Did the issue already fix? Can you share how you fix?

Regular
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

I just had this happen today with my XA1. Had it for about two months from new. The phone was charged, i was on a train, so not too hot or cold. Phone would not start via on button. Went to Carphone Warehouse to ask and plug in. Phone started when plugged in and on button pressed. Seems fine. Was told it could be a dodgy sensor or too cold - cold weather will do that, i was told. Anybody else had this on XA1?