account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

How to Access Samba Share

One time poster
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

How to Access Samba Share

Hi.  I have a music library on a Melco device which I'm guessing is running a flavour of Linux.

By enabling its "Samba sharing" feature I can see the shared directory from a Windows PC on the same LAN using the usual "\\MelcoDevice\share" notation.

I just want to do the same from my Z2 tablet so that BubbleUPnP can see it.

I thought I would go into the Android file explorer and set it up, but I cannot even find a native file explorer!  There seems to be a commercial app called File Commander but that's no good.

So, I thought I would try a terminal window since I spent years as a software developer on old-fashioned UNIX boxes - but I can't find one of those either.

Does Sony's Android have either of these basic tools?

And does anyone know how I might see the contents of the shared folder (directory) on the Melco?

Thanks in advance...

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Visitor
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Re: How to Access Samba Share

I manage to access windows (and other) shares on SMB or AFP o NFS and whatever, using free ES File Explorer. Just add a server with your targeted IP and login credentials. works like a charm