account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

xperia z1 wifi issue

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 103
Message 1 of 103

xperia z1 wifi issue

Hello,

My xperia z1 seems to have a wifi issue. My wifi router works fine with my laptop.

Wifi router brand - Binatone

Security type: WPA-PSK

It connects on restart. Plz advise.

Also few suggestions on Andriod features on xperia:

1) It doesnt have any means of grouping and saving the SMS's. Does it ? Plz comment.

2) Is there a way to assign ringtones to contact groups?

Plz let me know if any info is needed.

102 REPLIES 102
Sage
Message 2 of 103
Message 2 of 103

Re: xperia z1 wifi issue

About Wi-Fi - change the channel your Wi-Fi router is working on, it is best to set it to 11, but not any higher number. Then switch off and back on Wi-Fi on the phone. This will solve your problem if you don't have the latest firmware update (if not, you should get it within days, it rolls out already).

About the other things:

With the stock messaging/contact apps - no.

With third party - sure, yes. Try some on Google play, they are plenty of such apps.

----------
When everything have failed already, try to read the manual.
Kudos mean I am helpful. Am I for you? Then support me back Slightly smiling Face

Apprentice
Message 3 of 103
Message 3 of 103

I just updated to latest firmware 534.

let me see if issue continues.

Also I will check some apps on google play!

But somehow I feel Andriod should have these as they are very basic needs.

I hope Andriod is not ignorant and more customer-needs-oriented OS. Not like iOS wer it always dictated features to customer in a bid to set trends. And finally iOS is destined to doom!

Sage
Message 4 of 103
Message 4 of 103

Two things.

The channel 11 on any Wi-Fi is recommended, because it provides (simplifying the subject) best quality and range.

Channels above 11 are even illegal in some countries. It is best to use this channel then. Some devices just "don't know" about channels numbered 12 and higher. Laptop will work just fine, but not every device will.

Anyway I hope your problem will gone. I will check it right away myself, because I just updated my one to 534 too.

And the second thing, Android sometimes is ignorant. For example, Z1 supports Bluetooth 4.0 with LE (low energy), but android doesn't... and we are talking about the relatively modern one - 4.2.2 is not that old. BLE will be supported in 4.3, but now you have hardware you cannot use the way it was designed.

But certainly Android is widely opened. iOS indeed comes with many restrictions out of the box, Android doesn't limit you. But on the other hand it is never bug free Slightly smiling Face You just met one, this Wi-Fi issue is a bug really Winking Face

----------
Kudos mean I am helpful. Am I for you? Then support me back Slightly smiling Face

Sage
Message 5 of 103
Message 5 of 103

Unfortunately it is still an issue.

Firmware .534 didn't fix that problem.

So, just stay on lower channels than 12 and everything will be fine.

----------

Commissioner
Message 6 of 103
Message 6 of 103

I am experiencing weak wi-fi signals. Qute poor as compared to other brands.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 103
Message 7 of 103

I had this problem when I was using Xperia S, i thought its a problem with android OS. I changed my existing router to latest model (2013), a day before i purchased Z1. My Xperia S wifi signal peaked to maximum, and next day I brought Z1, wifi signal was so good that it followed all around my house, even on terrace I was able to work. My old router was showing poor signal at one meter, now with new Router wifi problem totaly resolved
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 103
Message 8 of 103

I forgot to had that my old router signal was good with laptops, but not on smartphones, i even triedv with my friends samsung mobile but too bad, with new router total wifi issue with smartphone resolved.
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 103
Message 9 of 103

Hi guys,

As spoken in other Wifi post in the z1 forum, the solution so far is this  the z1 does not pick up channel 12,13.

channels 1 to 11 should pick up fine.

this a known issue and hope there will be a fix for it when deploying out the next update.

One time poster
Message 10 of 103
Message 10 of 103

I'm suffering really poor wifi connections and my router is on Channel 1. None of my other mobiles or devices are having a problem.