account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xperia z1 touchscreen problems

Learner
Message 601 of 616
Message 601 of 616

Re: xperia z1 touchscreen problems

60 pages numerous updates and no fixes or solutions from Sony or the Staff here! This is an appalling way to treat your customers. It's clearly a software issue as tapping the power button and waiting a few seconds for your screen to go to sleep fixes the issue for another 10 mins or so. Seriously the touch screen is a critical part of the phone and not getting that right is criminal!

I can't even return my phone under warranty as it's over a year old and now I'm stuck with a device that is perfectly functional with the exception of the critical input method being buggy. This is beyond a joke for those of us that buy our phone out right as I did with mine it's a total waste of money and now I'm looking at further investment in a new phone which is totally unnecessary.

Before Sony forum support come in with their usual "SUS, restore, reset, format your phone, stand on one leg and hop whilst waving your phone in the air". I've done everything, absolutely everything, short of voiding the warranty by removing the anti shatter film. 

I got my hopes up this morning when I saw a new update available, which then failed so I've essentially done a full clean install via a restore, maybe this time they've fixed (like so many updates before). Within ten minutes the touch screen stopped working correctly.

One thing you can pass on to your superiors (you do pass issues and feedback on, sometimes it feels like this forum is a blackhole)...

When a customer has an issue with their phone, a primary communications device needed every day, don't make them send it off for repair, where you have to wait weeks for it to come back. Just replace the it, just like apple do. You generate goodwill with your customers and a positive experience. Partner with Carphone Warehouse or similar high street retailer. Allow customers to go in and demonstrate how their phone isn't working (they do this already) and allow them to replace it immediately on site if they have stock or offer the customer a loan phone until a replacement arrives (48hrs max).

If Sony want to know why their smartphone business is in decline, this is why! Support is awful, updates cause massive issues, hardware and software bugs are never fixed. I had an Xperia T before this and that was a sorry expereince, after the Z1 I won't go back to Sony and this is what I tell people. Like everyone here on this forum, none of them will say 'oh yeah get a Sony' when asked 'what phone should I get'. Your arrogance and ineptitude at dealing with customers is killing your Sony fanbase. I;ve seen so many disenfrachised posts on these forums 'I love Sony but now I will get an iPhone/Samsung/HTC'.

Also NEVER EVER EVER outsource product support, it makes your support teams impudent unable to help and affect change. It destroys your brand image and will lead to decline!

EDIT: The reason I'm so frustrated is I love the Z1 it's a fantastic phone, it's the strongest contended for apple quslity hardware for an android device, it's such a shame it seems to have these hardware/software issues wich prevail across the Z series from the Z Ultra, Z1 to the Z3 even tablets. Sony even admit the problem in their support pages but do not provide any better solution than powering the screen on and off, which is pitiful.

Learner
Message 602 of 616
Message 602 of 616

Just like me.. This update Totally break my hope too.
Learner
Message 603 of 616
Message 603 of 616

My investigations of this problem.

1. Problem started when I removed standard Sony screen protector because of scratches. So I understood the reason of Sony forbidded this operation. But now Sony does not refuse warranty...

2. Additional screen protector like Tempered Glass(TG) does not help.

3. Setting on or off vibrating the screen when touch does not help.

4. Temporary solution I found on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2691849 They recommend recalibrate touch screen and provide some application. Now screen bug raises not every 10-20 minutes as before, but 1-2 times a day, sometimes I can work the whole day without screen triller.

So I could not completely solve this problem but improved my z1 touch screen behavior.

5. Support cannot do anything. They can only recommend to go to service centre.

As a result, my next smartphone definitely will not be Sony. I also had troubles with another Sony products so I can say, that "It's a Sony" means bad quality.

Adviser
Message 604 of 616
Message 604 of 616

You all listen to me. Add a extra screen paper or screen glass in your Xperia Z1. It will fix your touch problem
Rayhan
Learner
Message 605 of 616
Message 605 of 616

It doesn't do anything, I've had a high quality screen protector which I remved because I though it was causing the issue. I replaced it with Tempered glass and the probem seemed to get worse not better. I've been running now without a screen protector and considering unlocking my boot loader so I can dial down the sensitivity of the touch screen. If I can fix this or imporve it by changing one number though it makes me wonder what Sony have been doing all this time.

On the note of sensitivity I used an ipad recently and was surpiresed by how it was significatnly less sensitive to touch it was when compared to Sony devices. Sensitivity could be THE issue that causes this.

One time poster
Message 606 of 616
Message 606 of 616

Re: Z1 Touchscreen issue

Me and a friend both have the z1 and are having same problems with the phone. It seems to have a bug, it presses and runs its own things on the screen and frezees,  hence we cannot even press anything on the screen. You cannot even turn it off by pressing the switch off button, it only restarts when you remove the sim card. Even after removing the sim card, it still does its own things. I cannot do anything on the phone, the touchscreen is just disabled and unaccessible but there is a lot of activity happening on the phone by itself. Please help.

One time poster
Message 607 of 616
Message 607 of 616

Re: Z1 Touchscreen issue

I don't know if the problem is resolved, but the following helped for me, with the latest android version for the sony z3 compact.

Go to settings -> language input. Scroll all the way down to Mouse/trackpad (pointer speed) and reduce the speed.

* I am using a different launcher though. Nova launcher to be exact, but I don't think that'll be of any significance 

One time poster
Message 608 of 616
Message 608 of 616

I have a z3 when i press the unlock button the screen is 100% fine for about 2 seconds then slowly my screen turns into a cloudy colour with lines going down the screen. When i used pc companion to update the software my phone shuts down when connected to usb. Anyone can relate? Any advice plz..
Enthusiast
Message 609 of 616
Message 609 of 616

I can truly sympathise with you. I have owned a Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, Xperia Z1, and now the Z3. 

The Z1 shipped with a defective battery which started swelling after four months of usage. Then, I bought the Z3 very recently. Overall, it is a really decent phone, and am glad of the fact Sony has added microphone gain control. However, to my horror, I came across the touchscreen bug where there is a vertical, unresponsive strip on the left corner. I have raised this issue on the support forum, but get the usual response you mentioned. Similarly, visiting the Sony Service center is no easy deal. I have to wait for three weeks to get my device back, and I shall be flying away to Canada tomorrow!

Sony better follow what Apple does, and provide us a replacement instead of letting their engineers tinker around with our device.

Do not get me wrong. I really love the Z3, that's why I am so alarmed with my finding. 

I owned the Xperia Play for a short while, before selling it and buying a Z1. From my experience, I have to say Sony's quality control has gone downhill ever since they parted their way with the Swedish Ericsson. 

This is literally the last time I ever purchase an Xperia smartphone. 

It may require iTunes, lack an SD card slot, have no NFC, but I will probably buy an iPhone sooner or later.

"Sony Bravia Engine is to Xperia owners what VTEC is to Honda Civic owners"
Learner
Message 610 of 616
Message 610 of 616

Any update or fix on this yet? I love my z1 don't want to sell it but thinking otherwise.