account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xperia Z1 keeps switching off

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

xperia Z1 keeps switching off

Hi, 

So I've had my Xperia Z1 since October 2013 and I've never really had any problems with it . Until today. At some point this afternoon it just switched itself off (Battery was on between 20-30%) so I just put it on charge and I couldn't switch it on until it was charged up to 80% - which is always like that on this phone. 
But as soon as I was able to use it again it just switched itself off after maximum 20 minutes and again .... I had to wait until it's charged up to 80-90%. Ever since then it keeps switching off in a time interval of every 5 minutes and I have no idea what to do .

I have already run a virus scan over my phone and I've also pressed the power button and the volume button at the same time ... but nothing really seems to help!

I would be glad if anybody could tell me what the problem might be or how it could be resolved. 

Thank you smile happy 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: xperia Z1 keeps switching off

You may need to perform a software repair using PC Companion.The process will erase all internal memory.You might need to charge your device for about 1-2 hours before so the device has at least 60% battery.

Make sure the device is not connected to computer or laptop and turned off (sometimes you have to press power button and volume up until the device vibrates 3 times or on some devices you have to press the small button near the SIM tray or on the back of the device).

Open PC companion->support zone->phone/tablet software update->repair my phone/tablet blue highlighted.Follow the steps given,do not connect your phone until prompted to press volume down while plugging USB cable. If PC companion does not start the repair process, you might need to run it in compatibility mode with Windows 7 (in some cases XP).

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

9 REPLIES
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

You may need to perform a software repair using PC Companion.The process will erase all internal memory.You might need to charge your device for about 1-2 hours before so the device has at least 60% battery.

Make sure the device is not connected to computer or laptop and turned off (sometimes you have to press power button and volume up until the device vibrates 3 times or on some devices you have to press the small button near the SIM tray or on the back of the device).

Open PC companion->support zone->phone/tablet software update->repair my phone/tablet blue highlighted.Follow the steps given,do not connect your phone until prompted to press volume down while plugging USB cable. If PC companion does not start the repair process, you might need to run it in compatibility mode with Windows 7 (in some cases XP).

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Emperor
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Don't forget to backup

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Hi Laurie.

I note this says your Z1 problem was resolved. Is that the case? My own and similar issue could only be resolved by my replacing the battery. If it i indeed resolved then no problem but if not, i can share my solution.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

runcoach100, the problem with my phone is not resolved. Performed reset twice, the problem still there so please share your experience.

Thanks.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Hi @jupis,

I'm sorry to hear about your phone. sad

If you have performed a software repair twice and you still are experiencing this behaviour, it sounds like it's related to hardware rather than software in your phone and in your case the phone needs to be examined at an authorized service centre.

If you contact your Local support team they will assist you with having the phone sent in and they will also be able to answer any questions that you may have regarding service times, routines and so forth since this vary between markets.

Let me know how it goes!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Jonas, can you hint whether the HW problem is battery related?

This is already the second battery of this mediocre quality device. Sending the phone to sony service center means paying $$$ for them to just look at it much less fix it. On the other hand, a new genuine battery costs $15.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

Hi again!

It's hard for me to say if this is caused by the battery or other components in the phone, since all repairs are done by authorized service centres after the devices have been examined by a trained technician.

I'm afraid I can't give you any other recommendation than having it sent to an authorized service centre, or if you have one close by that you can visit on your own.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Apprentice
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Jonas,

The problem turned out to be a loose battery connector. I opened the phone and the conector was almost completely off. Reconnected, re-sealed the cover, so far the phone works great.

Cost to me - $2 for the seal.
Cost if I took it to Sony - $140.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Thanks for the update! smile happy

I'm glad to hear you that you managed to solve it on your own! smile happy

Let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with!