account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

sudden shut down battery problem, factory reset and SW update/repair did NOT help

One time poster
Message 41 of 55
Message 41 of 55

Re: sudden shut down battery problem, factory reset and SW update/repair did NOT help

Having the same problem. Reset the phone: nothing! Used PC companion: Nothing! Thought I had some success for a day or two, but automatically shut off at 53% and again at around 39%. Battery drain seems to have improved, but not sure what else to do. Had to buy a 20000 mah emergency charger to carry around. Anyone have any last ditch efforts? Not sending back; no warranty, cost of shipping, time to get back, and not pouring repair money into this device. Tks all
Visitor
Message 42 of 55
Message 42 of 55

Re: sudden shut down battery problem, factory reset and SW update/repair did NOT help

Hello, I know this a year old post, but I just fixed my Xperia Z1 with the same symptons as you and even though this is an old post, I am having this problem in July 2016, so I know there are more out there looking for answers.My phone started shutting off at 50%, then later on it would shut off at 70%. I decided to backup all of my files and restore to factory. It did not help. I kept reading about this problem and most of the people who did fix their phone said it was the battery. One said he looked at his phone sideways and noticed a bump. He opened the phone and sure nuff, the battery was swollen. I looked at my phone and it was fine. No bulging. But lately I could have the phone connected to the charger, show 100%, disconnect it and use it for 5 minutes and it would shut down. I could wait a couple of minutes and it would startup and last me a few hours. I finally decided I had put it off long enough. I purchased a new battery. It came today, I opened the back....WARNING!!! use a plastic prying tool, I used a metal one and brock the glass back. There are videos on Youtube that show you how to remove and replace the battery. Once I removed the back, yup!.. the battery was swollen, but not enough to show while the back was still on it. So, that is the problem, it is the battery, no matter how many want to blame it on software. The waterproof ability of your cel will no longer work, but you have a phone you can use for hours now. You may also want to buy the kit that includes the sticky strips that keep everything together. Hope this helps.

One time poster
Message 43 of 55
Message 43 of 55

Hi

Have a same issue. My phone started shutting off at 40% to 0%. When i plug to charge its shows 1% and grow up to 100%. After fully charged again 40% reached its immediately down to 1% and shutting down. Today i have charged only upto 40% not to 100% and removed the charger, this time battry  work has normal and stay for hours with out any issue. Really now i don't know what to do. I have tried soft factory resetting. Please help me ?

One time poster
Message 44 of 55
Message 44 of 55

My c6902 model xperia z1 phone battery drains down to 0% when goes down 50%. Is my battery over or it can be fixed by any other mean...plz tell aomebody how can i know..? I am using phone since last 12 months....help me....
Visitor
Message 45 of 55
Message 45 of 55

Hi, I would also like to know how to reset to 4.4.4 or pre Lollipop. Please let me know if this can still be done.

Regards Ian 

Visitor
Message 46 of 55
Message 46 of 55

My phone cuts off at 99% and 100%. I have it on the charger and the runs and does everything. As soon as I take it off the charger or try to do anything it immediately shuts down showing 99% charge. Sony is denying any responsibility and keeps directing me to the service center where is going to cost at least $120 to have a new battery fitted and maybe other costs incurred if they said it was something else wrong. I am afraid that I have no faith or trust in the service and service centers. I'm going to try and buy a battery online and install it and see if that works. I am loath to change my phone over because I have an incar kit aand was expensive to buy and I don't want to have to change that as well. I cannot buy a battery from Sony or their service center. Just pushing to either sell me a new phone or pay for expensive repairs. Maybe they have made this intentionally to force redundancy and force us to buy a new phone. If I have to buy a new phone after this,it will be anything other than a Sony. I will tell everyone I talk to that Sony phones are crap, their service is crap and their integrity is bad. Hurry up Nokia and give us a phone that works and is RELIABLE. I used NOKIA for 20 years and only upgraded for functionality. NEVER EVER had a NOKIA fail. I have treated this Sony with great care because they are very fragile and the slightest screen crack makes it unusable.$270 to replace the screen. Volume is pathetic and hard to hear. But I liked the functionality. NOKIA is going to use Android as well. Good thing. SONY, SHAME, SHAME, SHAME. You deserve your lowly position in the smart phone arena. Try to learn from your customer base, listen, and FIX THE  PROBLEM OR ALLOW US TO MOVE TO MARSHMALLOW SOFTWARE. So many people only have this problem after being forced onto Lollipop and no ability to roll back to earlier version THAT WORKED. Again, SHAME SHAME SHAME 😝😡😤

One time poster
Message 47 of 55
Message 47 of 55

Hi , I have found one solution for this issue. I have installed the follwoing app: Repai battery life from Androip market and done battery calibration. I have fixed my issue. Please try and see if it helps you all.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.batterycare.batterycarerepair

One time poster
Message 48 of 55
Message 48 of 55

I'm experiencing this issue last 2 days.

I've tried to do a lot of things / tricks but it were unsuccessful.

So bad this kind of situation. 

One time poster
Message 49 of 55
Message 49 of 55

Xperia z1 suddenly gets switched off saying 0%battery remaining

One time poster
Message 50 of 55
Message 50 of 55

Re: Xperia Z1 sudden unexpected power down

About 2 months ago mine began this behavior. I've done the Xperia Companion PC software reset. It still does it although the reset did improve performance overall.

With mine, it has happened ALMOST (1 exception thus far) every time while taking a video or snapping a photo when I am in an area where there is no wifi and mobile signal is either weak or non-existent. 

Before the software repair/reset it would report like 1% or 0% battery left as it powered down when moments before it may have had more than 90% battery. When I tried to power it back up again it sometimes still reported the low battery and powered back off, but at other times it would show plenty of battery left and power up again.

When it was still reporting very low battery, I would connect it to the charger, give it a few minutes to get up to about 5% battery, then still connected to the charger I'd power up the phone again. About 50% of the time it would then report the battery level at about where I thought it was before the incident occurred, which was generally between 50% abd 90%.

Now, since I did the software reset, when it happens is still reports 1% or 0% battery. But when I attempt to power up again it ALWAYS still shows 1% or 0% battery and the only way to even see that is to connect to the charger otherwise it just sits there flashing the Sony B&W screen on/off.

Also, since software reset once I can power the phone up again on the charger (battery up to about 5%) it goes through the same routine it did directly after the software reset on first startup, which is to display a dialogue box that says "Optimizing software applications 1 of 184, and it keeps updating the number it is on in the "1" spot until it reaches 184 also then it boots.

My phone is of course now out of warranty, bought it back in 2014. It performed flawlessly until fall of 2015 when a major Lollipop update came along, then all sorts of problems have ensued.

Quite frankly, I've about had it with Android and am going to save my money and get an iPhone. I know quite a few people who have them, and while they too have problems, the one's they have are nothing like I've had with Android.

Being someone who has worked in IT in various capacities, it appears to me that Android being open source allows companies who use the OS on their phones to modify it for their products. I believe a lot of the companies using Android are creating what is called "built-in obsolescence." In other words they tweak-engineer the OS in such a way that on their hardware etc the ability of the device to continue functioning properly after about 3 years will degrade progressively thus causing the user to want to buy another one.

I know people using very old iPhones quite successfully. I do not know many people having much luck with Androids once they get to be more than about 4 years old. Some of this is due to the rapidly changing internet and mobile protocols being used, but if iPhones can be made to cope with it OK then so could Android, but that is not what occurs.