account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

proximity sensor issue

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 11 of 66
Message 11 of 66

Screen is on during calls

I have a problem where the screen is turned on during calls which makes me press things I don't want to.

The proximity sensor it self seems to be working (tried Xperia Diagnostics)

Any one have this problem and/or a fix to it?

Emperor
Message 12 of 66
Message 12 of 66

Re: Screen is on during calls

Try the basic, repair your phone with

Update Service (SUS)

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 13 of 66
Message 13 of 66

I did that, but no change in the behaviour.

I just noticed the following. If I cover the sensor before making the call, the screen turns off when I press call, and comes back when I remove the cover.
I however can not make the screen turn off once I have removed the cover.

So the sensor seem to work, but not as it supposed to in the dialer app.

Emperor
Message 14 of 66
Message 14 of 66

You might have to take it to a Sony repair center, sorry. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Regular
Message 15 of 66
Message 15 of 66

Proximity Switch off

Hi -

My screen was not getting on after making the call so I wanted to check the service menu. I typed *#*#7378423#*#* and accessed the calibration menu and selected Proximity sensor menu. 

It showed Autoscreen Brightness On and Proximity Switch OFF. I switched Autoscreen Brightness off (other wise the calibrate option is grayed out) and tried to calibrate the proximity sensor. I got the error -99 and the message that it cannot be done.

1. How do I switch on the Proximity sensor on
2. Will the calibrate option work if the phone is factory reset (there is a message which says - Pls factory reset the phone before calibrating).

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 16 of 66
Message 16 of 66

Xperia Z1 screen blackout

I bought this phone and regularly i have been facing some issues

1)screen goes completely black and i have to restart

2)tick tick noise in earpice while on call

3)some other problems associated with proximity sensor(eg screen turn of the moment i cal someone even if sensor not covered and sometimes never turn on until i restart.

kindly tell me these are hardware issues or software ones and wud be solved with firmware update. Currently i have 14.1.G.2.257 installed. These problems have reduced a bit but still irritate me after every 2-3 days.

Kindly tell wat shud i do. I dont want my set to be repaired so early. Its just been a week i bought this frm sony exclusive showroom.. Slightly frowning Face

Emperor
Message 17 of 66
Message 17 of 66

Re: Xperia Z1 screen blackout

Repair the phone with SUS or PCC, if the problem persist, take it back 

Update Service (SUS)

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

Rookie
Message 18 of 66
Message 18 of 66

Re: proximity sensor issue

What test did you do ? 

One time poster
Message 19 of 66
Message 19 of 66

Xperia Z1 - Black screen problem during phones calls - can be outgoing or incoming

Hi,

I have just bought my Xperia Z1 2 weeks ago (25.10.13) when I have received incoming calls and just after I push the answer button or when I make outgoing call just after I push call button screen becomes black till to call ends or till to I push to lock-screen button. Even I remove my phone far from my ear it still black screen. In first days I don't have any kind of problem like this. But last 2 days I have this.

Can you please help me about this issue.

Kind Regards

Sony Xperia Support
Message 20 of 66
Message 20 of 66

Re: Xperia Z1 - Black screen problem during phones calls - can be outgoing or incoming

Do you use any screen protector or protective case on the phone that covers the proximity sensor?

That could trick the phone thinking its always kept to the ear blackening the display right away during calls.