account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

phone not being detected on laptop

SOLVED
Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

phone not being detected on laptop

hi , well my phone is not being detected, i made assure that the usb cable is alright, usb port is not 3.0 and is fine good and is among working ports, after trying so much i changed pc , cable but the phone still remains same undetected, wherein if i restart my phone it shows installing mtp drivers and shows symbol to have patience post which it shows error,it is behaving this way only after the update to kitkat i guess, because before that it was alright.suggestions appreciated and thanks in advance Slightly smiling Face

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Re: phone not being detected on laptop

To solve the issue, open Device Manager on your computer to reinstall the driver for your device while your device is connected with your PC via a USB cable.

Microsoft Windows Vista and 7 users

To open Device manager on your computer

Click on the Start button. 
In the Search box, type device manager, and then press enter. 

To reinstall the drivers for your device

Scroll down to the Universal Serial Bus controllers (USB section) of the Device Manager window. 
Look for an MTP Device: Media Device, Unknown Device or any other reference to your phone. Click on this entry and choose "Uninstall" whilst leaving the device connected. 
Wait a few minutes, and the computer will reinstall the drivers for the device.
Now, the phone is accessible via Computer/My Computer on your computer.

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

5 REPLIES 5
Emperor
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Install PCC or SUS on your computer > restart your PC and try again 

Update Service (SUS)

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Master
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Which operating system do you have on your PC? 

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

windows 7..32 bit...how can i use pc companion when my phone is not being detected after connecting to pc..this is so stupid answer...i dont know what the heck admins think here is just pc companion sus update is the solution for every **bleep** of xperia hahaha

Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

To solve the issue, open Device Manager on your computer to reinstall the driver for your device while your device is connected with your PC via a USB cable.

Microsoft Windows Vista and 7 users

To open Device manager on your computer

Click on the Start button. 
In the Search box, type device manager, and then press enter. 

To reinstall the drivers for your device

Scroll down to the Universal Serial Bus controllers (USB section) of the Device Manager window. 
Look for an MTP Device: Media Device, Unknown Device or any other reference to your phone. Click on this entry and choose "Uninstall" whilst leaving the device connected. 
Wait a few minutes, and the computer will reinstall the drivers for the device.
Now, the phone is accessible via Computer/My Computer on your computer.

sony_logo126x24.gif

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Inhabitant
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

finally solved, well i just paired my phone with laptop (bluetooth) because of which the phone was not operating in mtp mode 

1. i just deleted bluetooth pairing from laptop

2. deleted bluetooth pairing from phone

3. disabled c201 (some number) drivers as i could see 2 drivers of that name in usb drivers section of device manager , i disabled both,which promptedd me to restart 

4. i just accepted to restart

5. after restart again i open the device manager and in usb drivers sectio i could see the disabled drivers status as disabled, hence i enabled it. hollllllllllllllllllllla thats all.

Drivers got installed again , thank u every one for the help specially the device manager tip dude, and /slap to the one who was saying pc companion and sus update