account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

charging/battery problem after lollipop update

Rookie
Message 71 of 78
Message 71 of 78

Re: charging issue for my Sony Xperia Z1(C6902) after new update of 5.0

I am in a similar boat to you. Sony say they have absolutely no idea of this problem!!!!!?????? mmmmmm

This needs to be taken to another level, but how I'm not sure. In England it's OfCom

Learner
Message 72 of 78
Message 72 of 78

Hi guys, I have similar problem as you with orginal magnetic charger,and charging by orginal phone charger with diffrent high quality 3m cable.  The cable disconnects and connects over and over again. Problem starts on magnetic charging about 60%+,on cable its 91% and can't get higher. Its smell for me that Sony messed something,Im not sure whether or not specifically because before everething was good. I was trying everything on this subject,nothing helps.

Now I will try to do downgrade to 4.4 KitKat,and see if Sony )

Learner
Message 73 of 78
Message 73 of 78

So after 2 days of testing on 4.4 Kitkat,there are no any problems with charging. Congrats Sony for doing idiots of people!

Now Im testing 5.0 Lolipop because I got used to it

Learner
Message 74 of 78
Message 74 of 78

So on the Loli 5.0 and 5.1.1 problem exist. Sony-its a shame

Tny
One time poster
Message 75 of 78
Message 75 of 78

Re: charging/battery problem after lollipop update

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. Companion doesn't find any issues wrong with Lollipop. I recommend that Sony looks at a Z1 Compact with the issue and identify any hardware and/or software malfunctions. Otherwise, the issue won't get resolved.

One time poster
Message 76 of 78
Message 76 of 78

Re: Charging issue with my Sony Xperia Z2 - Highly disappointed

hi

GeoffH analysis is correct, and the by far the best description of the problem I found after researching what caused sudden battery drop in both my z1 compacts after lolipop upgrade. I would just add to his analysis that the mechanism for the failure is the heat generated by the update to lollipop. When I updated my two compact z1 they both ran super hot for extended half hour while they did all the updates and post install process. This cause the battery and cpu to run extremely hot, and causes the battery to then swell and fail with sudden drops/shutdowns around 50% etc as often reported. Initially its hard to understand how a software update could cause this, but as Geof points out, many batteries showing no issues can be pushed over the edge, in this case, by the heavy heat load and sudden power demands plus cpu heat thrown in a non ventilated case shortly after the LP update. The only solution is a battery replacement as the damage to battery is real (often swelling) and not a software bug/reset as peoples intuition often suggests. A work around might be to allow these z series to update while in a freezer to reduce heat loads, that might save the battery from the trauma in some cases. Other than this quirky issue, have to say its a great phone and it would have been hard for sony to anticipate this sort of failure. They could also implement a staged update and slow the upgrade process down through software, but unlikely fix given the age of these devices and cheapness of replacement batteries. Hope this helps explain things and thanks to Geoff for his original insights into quite a tricky fault, had me confused for a few days, cheers Ralph

One time poster
Message 77 of 78
Message 77 of 78

Re: charging/battery problem after lollipop update

my sony z1 also not charging my phone and even not connected with laptop via usb cable, so how i can repair my software please suggest

One time poster
Message 78 of 78
Message 78 of 78

Sony Z1 - instant battery drop [Seen many similar topics]

Hello, I've tried everything but my phone just dies randomly, sometimes quite early after the charging process. The thing is replaced the battery and the problem still persists. What's more, I've tried downgrading to 4.4 or repairing it with Companion. The odd thing is that, almost after every drop I got this info that android is optimising apps. I don't think it's the problem connected with Google Services because sometimes I experience the battery drops during optimising apps. I don't believe that google services are working at this level of system boot or am I mistaken?

So is it a hardware issue? If there was a shortcircuit on the motherboard, shouldn't my battery keep getting warm? It only gets warm when I charge it. ( and as I mentioned it before, I've replaced it )

Kind regards !

B