account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

camera issue

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

camera issue

I'm currently on holiday in Crete and decided that seeing as I had such a high quality Sony camera in my phone I would bring it with me (20.7 megapixels and waterproof to boot) however I am having major problems.

I have emailed Sony support but no response. My album is loosing about 50% of my pictures and videos record fine but then I get an error saying video can not be played and also at times mentioning having an invalid URL ( I'm not online while abroad unless I'm on WiFi so why does it need a URL)

Sony this has began to make me reconsider buying a Sony product again. I mean all this hype about being the best camera but I cant view them. I am hoping that I can get the pictures when I connect to a PC but I'm a bit worried to say the least.

I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue and I think it may be something to do with stamina mode as since I have switched it off I am able to save the majority of pictures but still get an error with video.

I read somewhere that if you root you loose DRM keys for the camera I haven't rooted but I hope this does not mean Sony are adding DRM to my photos and videos and that is why I am either loosing photos or unable to play video.

Does anyone have a solution or similar issue? I have contacted support before posting on here to give them a chance to advise me but have not had a response. HELP!!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sage
Message 14 of 17
Message 14 of 17

Re: camera issue

Hi mate,

if you already backed up everything from this card, try some basics - like formatting the card from the phone itself. It would be best this way, because the phone "knows" best what filesystem he needs on the card. This will eliminate suspicions about bad filesystem first. Then take a bunch of photos, movies, play around with it etc. Then unmount it safely via settings -> memory and check the filesystem on the PC / try to copy everything you saved on it. If it works, problem solved.

If not, then try another card the very same way. If it fails again, the problem is with the phone. If not, then your card got damaged and again - mystery solved.

Method of elimination will be the fastest in this case in my opinion. I am a photographer for many years and you would be surprised how many cards failed me this way. Sometimes it is even enough to loose everything from a card just by removing it from the device (reader, dslr, phone..) without unmounting it. And after some years cards fails from time to time. You have to make sure where the problem really is.

----------
When everything have failed already, try to read the manual.
Kudos mean I am helpful. Am I for you? Then support me back Slightly smiling Face

16 REPLIES 16
Emperor
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Where are you saving pictures? (SD card or Internal storage)

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

Saving to SD card.
Emperor
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

It might be an SD card issue, try to savethem on your internal storage and check again 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Veteran
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

Once on my Xperia S I had the same, having cheap poor SD card I was randomly loosing my pictures, videos or mp3s...the brand was GoodRam, the worst I ever had. Consider buying another, expensive SD card ask or search fot those which should be good in extreme conditions - it should solve the issue.
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

just to be clear - Xperia S doesn't have the SD card slot.
----------
When everything have failed already, try to read the manual.
Kudos mean I am helpful. Am I for you? Then support me back Slightly smiling Face

Emperor
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

Indeed the Xperia S / SL doesn't support SD cards

Learner
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

Check the formatting of you SD card on a PC.

I have a 64GB Samsung and had similar problems, I found that formatting to exFAT with 32kb clusters has worked so far.
Apprentice
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

I think it is a typo and he meant "Z". "S" and "Z" keys are right next to each other.

Apprentice
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

I have a z1 problem is not been happening since I switched off stamina mode. I might change the stamina mode settings to ignore the camera and album apps. However I'll format my memory card and factory reset the phone. Still some issues with pictures showing pixelated and not able to playback videos. Still waiting from a response from Sony but thanks for the advice.