account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z1 won't turn back on.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 123
Message 1 of 123

Z1 won't turn back on.

I've really been enjoying using my Xperia Z1 so far, I'd not had a smart phone before this and I've not been massively impressed with most of the ones that I'd tried until this one.

However, last night I noticed my battery was down to 8% so I plugged it into my PC to charge it. After a while I checked to see how charged it was, and it had only gotten to 35%ish so I thought I'd turn the phone off so that it wasn't draining the battery as it charged. I held the power button down until it gave me the shutdown menu and told the phone to turn off.

When I went back to my phone a few hours later I unplugged the charger from the phone and tried to turn it on (held the power button down), but nothing happened.

I've tried pressing the small red button next to the sim card.

I've tried holding the power button down with each of the volume buttons (and both of them togeather to make sure).

I've tried holding each of the volume buttons down while plugging my phone into my PC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 73 of 123
Message 73 of 123

Re: Z1 won't turn back on.

Hi all,

I make this post just to summarize all tips that can be useful if you ever should experience this.

1. Make sure that you have enough battery power to start your phone. If the red light blinks when you try to turn on the phone this usually means that you don't have enough power to start. Charge the phone via wall socket using a original charger for optimal charging performance. If the battery is totally flat you can expect this to take about 30 min - 2 h before you will be able to turn on the phone. To avoid this you should always connect a charger before the phone runs out of battery and power itself off. 

2. If you have charged you phone according to above but still can't power on. Try forcing a power off by pressing and holding on/off key and volume up key at the same time until you feel three vibrations in a row. Now try to start the phone again the usual way. If it still won't turn on try repeating step 1 again.

3. Still not able to power on? Check if your able to get USB connection with a PC. Download and install PC Companion and check if you're able to run a software repair. Before you connect your phone, open PC Companion and start Support Zone. Start Software update > Repair phone. Now follow the on-screen instructions and check if you're able to get USB connection with the phone and repair the software.

4. If step 3 didn't help or if it didn't work, your phone needs to be examined and fixed at a repair center. For more information please contact your local support team. They will assist you on how to submit your phone for repair.

122 REPLIES 122
Apprentice
Message 2 of 123
Message 2 of 123

Just to add some more information:

There is no response at all from the phone from anything I've tried. (No lights, no vibrations, screen is completely black).

My PC can't detect my phone when it's plugged in via the usb.

Sage
Message 3 of 123
Message 3 of 123

Hi,

I hope this is nothing serious, I see you tried the basics already, good for you. Now if the phone died while charging, if it is not damaged, it is possible you can wake it with the charger. But not the USB port in the computer, to the charger. Then let it be there for about 10-20 minutes, you should see the notification LED turning on after a while. Then just unplug it and power on.

This should help, however, if there is some more serious damage and it doesn't wake up after this.. there is only one way after that. The repair center. But let's hope it won't come to this. Try what I said, this really helps most of the time.

----------
When everything have failed already, try to read the manual.
Kudos mean I am helpful. Am I for you? Then support me back Slightly smiling Face

Apprentice
Message 4 of 123
Message 4 of 123

No luck sadly, no light turned on at any point during the last hour of being on charge while plugged in via the mains plug. I unplugged it and tried turning it on and nothing happened still.

Master
Message 5 of 123
Message 5 of 123

Sounds strange! I suggest that you connect the phone to the wall charger and let it charge a few hours. Then try to start the phone by press and hold the power button and volume up at the same time until the phone vibrates (~about 10 sec). 

It should get you your Xperia Z1 up and running again. 

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 123
Message 6 of 123

you can try to do a power up cycle. Press the power button and the volume up button togather until the phone vibrates, then power on the phone.

Apprentice
Message 7 of 123
Message 7 of 123

I took it off charge from the wall charger after 4 hours, and then tried pressing and holding the power and volume up button for 20 seconds (just to make sure) It didn't vibrate (or show any response) at any point.

It also doesn't show any indication that it is charging even when plugged into the wall charger.

I could understand if I'd dropped the phone or something, but it's less than a week old and it spends most of it's time on a desk or my coat pocket. I've only transfered music to the phone and installed a few popular apps and beyond that I've only really used it to surf the web while at work now and then and play with the camera modes. It was working fine before I turned it off and put it back onto my desk, why would this happen?

Apprentice
Message 8 of 123
Message 8 of 123

Just an update.

I tried the Sony chat support and they couldn't resolve the problem either. They advised me to post the phone in to them to be repaired, which would take 5 - 7 working days and cost me the packaging (postage was free though).

I ended up taking it back to the retailer I purchased it from instead. They took a look at it and exchanged it for a new one straight away.

Sorry I couldn't find a better solution for anyone else that has this problem.

One time poster
Message 9 of 123
Message 9 of 123

Hi

If any one can please shed some light on this Issue I am having the exact same problem. Thing is this is my 3rd phone and it has done the exact same thing 3 times in a row. I cant believe that it can be the phone. It did have the latest firmware.

If anyone can please help that would be great

One time poster
Message 10 of 123
Message 10 of 123

why did the phone just died, the power wasn't drained? plus after pressing the power button and vol up key yes it worked, but why did it happened??