account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Z1 issues after 5.0 update

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 301 of 399
Message 301 of 399

Re: my xperia z1 is just shutting down when it has 72% charge by showing 0%

Dear SophiaW

As a representative of Sony on this support forum can you please provide a more detailed response for us, your customers? 
Several times on this thread you have advocated running a software repair, other moderators have advised the same along with the "just wait, it will get better" approach.  The extensive feedback being provided indicates that these approaches are not working!

Can you advise if Sony is aware of the issues with the Lollipop release for the Xperia Z1?

Is Sony working to address the issues with Lollipop?

Is it likely that Sony will provided an update to Lollipop in the near future that will restore the useability of the Xperia Z1?

After reading the long history of issues on this forum I took the step to rollback my Xperia Z1 to KitKat 4.4.4 and I am happy to say it is working much, much better than with Lollipop.

BTW:  For me the contact page at the end of the link you have provided does not work.  It takes me to a page which prompts to select for a country but when the dropdown list for countries is activated it is empty.

One time poster
Message 302 of 399
Message 302 of 399

Re: Z1 issues after 5.0 update

If you have installed 'Goole Now Launcher' before the upgrade, uninstall it.

It helped me a lot.

Message 303 of 399
Message 303 of 399

After posting my last message on here on Tuesday I was impressed to be able to say my phone hadn't crashed since... I mean how low standards is that anyway? I'm impressed because my phone was actually working for a whole three days without fault! Actually, it was still crashing - but not draining the battery. A step up, but again with those low expectations.

But I digress. It crashed again about ten minutes ago, the cause seemingly being turning on my Mobile Data. Despite paying for it, I've had to leave it off for the most part because it overheats the phone and was one of the many contrubuting factors to the 0% battery drains and outtages. Today it was turned on for no more than ten seconds and the phone just zilched from 86% to 0% battery in an instant. It's also no longer charging to compensate for the outtages...when it says 0% it now means it and I have to spend ages charging the phone from scratch again.

This is getting ridiculous now. If Sony can offer no advice here then I'm going to be finding someone to complain to, and I'm going to proceed with action towards a refund or replacement - I'm still within my warranty and am dealing with a device that for all intents and purposes isn't working. As for when I get asked by family and friends advice on which new phones to consider, unless there's a turnaround very soon I'll be actively telling people to avoid Sony - their devices are unreliable, and their customer support ranges from abysmal to non-existent.

Apprentice
Message 304 of 399
Message 304 of 399

Re: Z1 issues after 5.0 update (FM radio)

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Have you found a solution for this? 

Adviser
Message 305 of 399
Message 305 of 399

What the heck is going on? Is sony aware of ANY OF THIS? Do they have any plans to do anything about any of the lollipop update issues? This is RIDICULOUS.

Since the update, my i noticed that i dont always get notifications from Hangouts. I'll get someone calling me because i haven't responded, thinking nobody is messaging me. I open hangouts and there it is, unread messages.  Then it'll work for a while but if i start doing alot with the phone, it'll stop working again. If i browse and multitask and use the phone a little more heavily, it heats up alot really fast and causes performance issues, lagginess, battery drain. I suspect there might be a memory leak because at this poitn it seems to start killing apps it shouldnt be killing. I beleive this is whats happening when i dont get hangouts notifications, that since it isnt the active app the memory management on this lollipop update kills it in the background. Same with my Smartwatch Master/Companion app. Its terrible to look down at my phone and open some commonly used apps only to find i missed some important messages because the app was killed for memory, but then doubly so because i didnt get notified on my smartwatch either because THAT app was also killed for memory. Then the only way to re-sync it with my smartwatch is restart both the phone and smartwatch. This is a hassle!

We need to know if sony is doing anything about these issues! Memory leak causing overagressive memory management, overheating, battery drain, drop in performance, freezing, etc. The memory issue also CONSTANTLY causes a redraw of my home screen whenever im browsing the web or watching videos, then press the home button. Gotta wait for the screen to re-draw! Then i swipe to the side and though it shows the screen "move," the screen i swiped it to doesn't appear until i swipe around again.

Is this going to be addressed?

Emperor
Message 306 of 399
Message 306 of 399

@Helg

Don't cross post; post on this thread, it's more than enough or you can contact Sony directly but this seems to be a lollipop issue. 

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

Just google around, but perhaps 5.1 fix this issue. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 307 of 399
Message 307 of 399

I'll have to start a new thread then.

However, you mention 5.1 might fix this issue. Is that purely speculative or can you confirm if sony is working on a 5.1 update for the Z1s and other Z1 phones? If so, please provide a source.

Emperor
Message 308 of 399
Message 308 of 399

@Helg

As you are aware, this is a USER based forum, if you want an official statement you have to contact Sony directly 

There's no need for a new thread, this is one it's more than enough. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 309 of 399
Message 309 of 399

Dont worry, i'll make it easier for people to see what the problem and what to expect amongst all this convolution.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 310 of 399
Message 310 of 399

Two Words: Memory Leak (home screen redraw, overaggressive memory management, etc)

Hello all,

How many of you are experiencing issues when you press the home button and you have to wait for the home screen to be "redrawn?"  That is a sign of a memory leak, or something using up so much of the RAM in this phone that it has to close other application to make room to draw the homescreen again.

How many of you also experience lagginess or slowness when multitasking or browsing the web and watching videos? Does the phone heat up rapidly when you do this? Another sign of a memory leak. The phone is struggling to keep up with showing you whats on the screen because the RAM is running out, and little do you know that at this point the built in memory management of this version of android on the Z1s/Z1 begins to attempt to clear more RAM....by killing your recently used apps. Sometimes these are apps you dont want killed, like smartwatch related apps, messaging apps, etc.

How many of you also experience the above, then receive a call?  This further burdens the memory of the phone. At this point answering that call becomes a hassle, you might be lucky to be able to press the "answer" button. I know when this happens to me, i have to press the power button and turn the screen off then on before the answer button will respond to my touch.

Sometimes even my customizations dont work because the phone runs out of RAM to store them and play/show them when the time comes. My lockscreen wallpaper disappears when all these issues are happening, as well when a person with a custom ringtone i set for them calls me, the phone plays the standard ringtone instead of their custom one.

All these issues are memory related and i know those of us experiencing these issues are having a hard time because of this. We all want to know if Sony is aware of, and working on an update to address this.

In a different thread, "Forum Legend" user Uliwooly said "perhaps 5.1 will fix this issue." I googled around to verify what he said and it seems Sony has announced 5.1 is coming for all Z devices. Here is one source, since i had to find it myself.
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/sony-announces-android-51-lollipop-update-for-xperia-z-series-o...

The bottom of that post specifies what i was suspecting all along, here is an excerpt.
"The update brings a fix for the memory leak issue that was reported to be affecting Android 5.0 Lollipop users leading to crashing of apps alongside fix for random app crashes of dialler and messaging apps."

So to put it all together, to sum up many of the issues that many are experiencing, there is your answer and there is some info on what to expect. Unfortunately, i think us US Tmobile Z1s users might be screwed for a while longer because updates have to go through that additional layer (the carrier, tmobile). But if we want Sony to make sure we are heard, posting here isn't the answer. This thread is just informational for all you out there wondering why you are having issues.
But maybe we can have a voice still, maybe we can help give Sony a reason to work a little faster. If you are having issues, please reach out to sony and let them know. Here is the link