account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z1 issues after 5.0 update

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 291 of 399
Message 291 of 399

Upgrade to 5.0.2

Dear Sony

I am writing this in the very faint hope that someone at Sony might actually take notice of the feedback being provided by your customers.  It is a very faint hope indeed as Sony's track record in this space is extremely poor.  I am also posting this in this forum as Sony do not publish an email address or contact form for use on their website  -  I have attempted to contact Sony directly but they have not provided a means to do so.

I have owned an Xperia Z1 for over 18 months now.  While this phone is generally good and provides the functionality one would expect from a smartphone, there have been a number of shortcomings.  These shortcomings might sound like minor details but to a business person who uses their phone very heavily for work purposes, these minor details amount to a large frustration and inconvenience.  Many of these shortcomings have been pointed out to Sony by myself and a number of other customers  -  the evidence for this can readily be found in the posts in this forum.  Many of these shortcomings have also been introduced by Sony as changes from their previous models of smartphone and, in some cases, with upgrades provided to the Xperia Z1.

The evidence to date is that Sony is not interested in the feedback of its customers and continues to make decisions on the functionality, capability and useability of their devices without consultant or consideration of their user community.

The issues I have with the Xperia Z1 are:

• synchronisation of calendar items from Outlook using PC Companion does not correctly manage the timezone parameter of the items resulting in calendar entries on the phone being inaccurate.  This synchronisation is something that Sony has been successful with in the past with other devices but refuses to even acknowledge it is an issue and occurs with PC Companion and the Xperia Z1.  No, in my work environment it is not appropriate for me to synchronise my calendar via Google.
  • synchronisation of contact items from Outlook using PC Companion makes an absolute mess of the contact details on the phone.  It does not correctly map the contact item fields and provides no mechanism for correcting the mapping.  Synchronisation of Outlook contacts to Google contacts is similarly flawed.  To ensure accuracy and consistency in my contacts I now save any changed contacts from Outlook as a vcf file and then import them individually into my Gmail account.  Cumbersome and time consuming but at least then I have reasonably accurate details in my Xperia (some fields are still not mapped correctly  -  e.g. Email Home field is imported as Email Other).  This synchronisation is something that Sony has been successful with in the past with other devices but refuses to even acknowledge it is an issue and occurs with PC Companion and the Xperia Z1.
  • Inability to change the display order of contacts when using the Groups view.  In the all contacts view, you can select the display order preference (by first name; by last name) but you cannot do this when viewing contacts in a Group  -  they are sorted by first name and this cannot be changed.
  • Inability to apply a ring tone to a group of contacts.  You have to apply a separate ring tone to each individual contact.  Sony even acknowledged that this capability was deliberately and knowingly removed.  This has been raised a number of times with Sony and yet they choose to ignore this functionality even though all of their competitors provide it. 

I recently upgraded my Xperia to 5.0.2.  This is a move I now regret.  Sony introduced a large number of changes in the upgrade that I have no choice but to accept and a number of these changes has directly impacted on the useability of the interface.

• I display the clock on the home screen by using a widget.  Sony has changed the display format from hh:mm to <bold>hh<normal>mm.  Sure, it's only a small thing but I don't like it and want to change it back to using a consistent font on all digits separated by a colon:.  I can change the format for the clock which displays on the lock screen but not the clock that is on the home screen through the widget.
  • The update removed the individual ringtones I had applied to selected contacts.  Since I can't apply ringtones by group, it is rather a time-consuming process to go through and apply the ringtones again.
  • The update changed the widgets/apps I have by adding the Google search bar to my home screen.  If I wanted the search bar on my home screen I would have put it there thank-you.
  • I have one screen with a series of shortcuts to the phone numbers of the contacts I interact with the most.  I created the shortcuts using one of the standard widgets on offer on the phone.  The shortcut presents on the screen with the photo of the person from their contact record.  Upon selection of a shortcut, the person's phone contact details would display using about 1/3 of the screen (home phone, mobile phone, work phone) and I could then select the number I wanted to call.  The upgrade changed the behaviour of these shortcuts.  Now when I select a shortcut it uses 3/4 of the screen and provides the entire contact details.  Of the details displayed, the top half is taken up by a greyed-out view of the contact's photo.  The bottom half shows one phone number, one email and the postal address.  If I want more details I have to scroll up and then select the "See all" option.  Given that the majority of the time that I am using the shortcuts I am wanting to make a phone call to the person, I no longer have immediate access to all of the phone numbers for the person.  Not only has Sony changed the way this shortcut functions, they have not provided an alternative or any way to customise the details displayed to achieve the same outcome as the previous capability.
  • Prior to the upgrade, all alarms would display on the screen.  Now, if the phone is active at the time the alarm triggers, a notification appears at the top of the phone which needs to be selected and then the option to turn off or snooze the alarm is provided.  Given that the alarm is sounding and everyone in the office around me can hear it, why has Sony introduced an additional step to turning the alarm off?
  • I am also experiencing the same issues that a number of people have posted on this forum about their phones following the upgrade.  This includes major increase in battery usage, even when the phone is idle; extended charging time; very noticeable lag in the presentation of icons on screen when moving between different screens/views/exiting apps; very noticeable lag in launching the camera application.
  • I totally refute the suggestion being made by a moderator on this forum to simply give the phone a couple of days to bed in the upgrade and all will be good.  Really?  The upgraded OS includes learning algorithms which assess the usage patterns of the device and tailor the operating functions accordingly?  So the devices is going to "learn" how to work better after a couple of days of use?  Is this actually documented anywhere by Sony?  An operating system will only function in accordance with how its code has been written.  If the upgraded OS is going to improve then it must contain code that enables it to do so.  If it does actually contain this code then fantastic (however it has been a week and I am still waiting for my phone to "learn" to work better).  It it doesn't contain this code then don't insult your customers by telling us to wait a bit and it will get better.

On the whole I have been reasonably satisfied with the Xperia Z1 as a smartphone.  It has done the majority of what I needed it to do and I have found ways to work around the things it doesn't do.  I have been very dissatisfied with the support that Sony provides to their customers.  My contract for my mobile service is up for renewal in the next couple of months which means I will be looking for a new smartphone.  One thing I can say for certainty is that it will NOT be a Sony.  While other smartphones have shortcomings as well, none of them impact my personal usage requirements as much as the Xperia Z1 does.  In addition, my experience with the support provided by other smartphone vendors is far superior to Sony.  Given the amount of competition within the smartphone market and the ease with which a customer can change between devices, I would have expected a vendor to be interested in meeting their customer's requirements and maintaining their business for the longer term.

Regards

Gary T.

Visitor
Message 292 of 399
Message 292 of 399

Re: Z1 issues after 5.0 update

This update is atrocious. Why did you guys even bother? I can't even open the text messaging app. The processor is torching itself trying to run the os. The battery life looks like it is about 25% of what it was before. It was completely unnacceptable for you guys to offer an update if it's not ready to work. I would have been just fine using the old version of android until I bought another phone but now I'm going to have to wipe all my data to reset the handset to factory settings all because Sony couldn't be bothered to test this crap before they released it to their users Face with Steam from Nose

Rookie
Message 293 of 399
Message 293 of 399

Re: my xperia z1 is just shutting down when it has 72% charge by showing 0%

Hi, Sophia.

Can we expect a patch or new version soon? It seems clear that this update was not intended to run on the Z1, so should I uninstall and revert to the previous version, or will there soon be another update to replace this one?

If the former, please let me know how to go about reverting to the previous version. Given that I now store app data on the SD card, but in the prevous version Sony had disabled this feature, are there any steps I will need to take to ensure no loss of data when I uninstall the update?

Apprentice
Message 294 of 399
Message 294 of 399

HI everyone
I have same problem like most of guys, battery drain fast and whet phone is hot it suddenly down for example from 50% to 0% and turn off alone and after 5 minutes I turn on and it back to 48%.
Yesterday I went to Sony support Center, they checked my phone, they told it will be cost 600 R$ Main Board + 90 R$ manpower and upgrading software (about 200$ + 30 $ ) and I don't have warranty .
Although that is happening because hot after upgrading to lollipop, that is not customers fault, system update make phone hot.I think Sony now not like others companies, it is not care in her customers.
Apprentice
Message 295 of 399
Message 295 of 399

Okay Now after spending few days after Repair using PCC, sound effects don't work, stamina mode don't work, when stamina mode is on, battery is discharged at faster pace than stamina mode Off, I am always using stamina mode. There are more issues, like Lags home display lag. App lag, and all kinds of lags, sometimes many seconds. Also problem while multi-tasking, app closes itself and then refreshes or start Afresh.
Message 296 of 399
Message 296 of 399

Re: Z1 rendered unusable by 5.0.2.

Okay, I've now done two factory resets and a repair on PC Companion. Here is the result...

- Non-functional home screen button has now been fixed. Previously the on-screen home button was not working.

- Camera issue resolved. Previously, the camera would only work in third-party apps.
- Main battery issue still prevalent. Battery prone to extreme overheating, and drains to 0% randomly...

- ...issue now worse, because battery does not revert to previous charge level on reboot. Previously a soft reset resolved the problem some of the time, or with repeated attempts.

The phone has basically been rendered unusable. I am paying for a data package I cannot use, because even turning on the 3G is enough to crash the device. This now extends to wifi as well - random public connections have caused the phone to crash, and using it for more than a few minutes at home is terribly risky. Sending texts unless the phone is plugged into the charger is also risky. The phone will crash if I use the camera or the Album app for more than a few minutes. The phone crashes on occasion whilst using the Music app, particularly if I skip consecutive tracks. If I have more than a couple of things open for a few minutes, the phone will crash then as well - I had Messages open, and the phone crashed because I briefly opened the Notes app too! The phone has now also crashed once in the middle of a call - fortunately for me it didn't happen to be an important one.

This is totally unacceptable. Dealing with such an array of problems for even a few days would warrant at least some kind of apology from most major companies - but there hasn't been one. On top of that, this hasn't been just a few days. I have been dealing with this problem for nearly three months now! A quarter of an entire year where I cannot depend on being able to use the expensive phone I bought! I defected from Samsung phones after many years because they became unreliable and each phone I had lasted less time than the last - I'm fully thinking I may not bother with another Sony if they insist on pushing through software that the phone is clearly not capable of handling.

These problems are costing me money (as a minor aside the phone charger that came with the phone also decided to stop working this week and I've had to buy a replacement - bought an official charger and it didn't even come with the plug!), and from what I've heard Sony also demand more money from those who have sent their phone off for "repair". The Z1 is a decent phone with awesome features, but only for as long as I can use it. In its current state, Sony are at a loss - I was looking at investing in a PS4 at the end of next month but if these issues with the slightly more important phone aren't resolved I'll be taking my custom elsewhere for a replacement and I won't be able to buy said console either. Not impressed.

Enthusiast
Message 297 of 399
Message 297 of 399

Lollipop is a big change from Kitkat. The applications are pre-compiled. This is what happens after the reboot after upgrade. that does make phone warm, takes lots battery. But that is expected to go down as you use phone more and more.

But I must say - the sound has become low like a cheap basic android phone.. and not a £300 +  phone.

I have low sound issue, others have different issues.

Getting sony to check it means, buy another one as temp phone. So I just decided to live with it..

Learner
Message 298 of 399
Message 298 of 399

avoid installing these latest updates if they are not optimized for the Z1, already lollipop operating system has many errors and shortcomings, I install the 5.0.1 update and luckily was able to return to KitKat that is super stable and smooth for me Z1, let's see how it works version 5.1

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 299 of 399
Message 299 of 399

Hello

have to pay for mistakes created by an update released by the manufacturer ??? Sony someone must says something this silence in the face of these problems does not trigger anything your image.
Rookie
Message 300 of 399
Message 300 of 399

I'm going to blackberry passport