account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sound works from one headphone only

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Sound works from one headphone only

Dear all,

I can hear sound from one headphone only.

I can confirm I have tried with three different headsets including the one provided by Sony.

I can also confirm the problem happens with all applications (Spotify, Walkman, SoundCloud) including the provided sounds and ringtones. 

Also, the phone has not come in contact with water yet and it hasn't been dropped either (it's two weeks old).

Last time it worked, was last night when I connected it to my home stereo using a normal stereo minijack. It has stopped working since then.

I have restarted it a number of times and the problem persists.

Can you please advise?

Many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Commissioner
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

Re: Sound works from one headphone only

There are something wrong with the hardware of your phone called earphone jack. You can have a try to repalce with another good one.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

It could be something wrong with the 3.5 mm audio jack.I suggest you take your phone to a sony service.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Commissioner
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

There are something wrong with the hardware of your phone called earphone jack. You can have a try to repalce with another good one.

One time poster
Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

I had a similar issue.

Tried a number of headphones, incl the Sony supplied headphones. Multiple apps etc.

I was fustrated and was about to return the phone, but then thought there may be something stuck down the headphone plug. I used a paper clip and pulled out a small piece of fluff when I can only assume got down there after being my jeans. It was small, and didnt prevent the headphones from going all the way in. I guess I was unlucky and it just got lodged in a place that prevented a good connection.

All back to normal now!

One time poster
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

Sony should tell you to try and clear fluff from the headphone jack first! Just spent the best part of an hour and a half backing up/Software repair/Restoring my phone as per the Live agent instructions only to put a cocktail stick in the 3.5mm jack and pluck out a very small amount of fluff. Headphone check = Problem solved.

One time poster
Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

Dude i have a big piece of fluff inside the hole, and it was the reason for the malfuction for me. Im happy aggain couse i was affraid a little. 

Spoiler
not a little... almost the baddest day of the year!!

One time poster
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

Thank god for this thread. I was scared my new phone had a malfunction but I did what guys said and a big fluffy booboo came out. All good now
One time poster
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

Thank you very much. Had the same problem, and had tried blowing in the 3.5mm socket to no avail. Got a long, narrow piece of metal in there and dislodged a big lump of fluff. Problem solved!

One time poster
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

Cool, I love the low tech solution for a hi tech bit of kit. Thanks
Visitor
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

thanks for this thread fellas, I had the problem with headphones for a few days now, and I just pulled a dirty fluff from the jack...everythings working fine again...helpful info...Im happy again Grinning Face