account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Sony PC Companion for Ubuntu

Learner
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Sony PC Companion for Ubuntu

Years and years and years,,, but still no Sony PC Companion for Ubuntu, I hope someday somehow Sony will develop PC Companion for Ubuntu or system update can also be installed without Sony PC Companion.
Lamberto
7 REPLIES 7
Emperor
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Sony PC Companion for Ubuntu

One thread its more than enough 

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-S-SL-acro-S/How-to-connect-to-ubuntu-pc-companion-for-ubuntu/m-...

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

I just found the right answer on how to update Xperia tablet/phone system using VirtualBox in Ubuntu. Watch this videoThen I followed this tutorial on how to detect USB device on VirtualBox after installing Sony PC Companion. 

Success!

Lamberto
Emperor
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the info 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

I tried this, following the instructions, but I hit a roadblock. Ubuntu doesn't detect my phone when plugged in to usb so I can't mark it in the VirtualBox usb settings... Any ideas?

One time poster
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

It's working good in virtual box.

All what you need to install Extention Pack for VBox and do not forget to add you to group virtualbox in your system. (you are not the root, you can not bee everywhere by default)

But PCCompanyon has a problem winth Windows8.1 amd64 mode... and you will need to download application from Sony mobile site... it's a SONY.... Slightly smiling Face strange logic and strange applications ...

but if to be honest nobody of phone manufactures have applications for linux... even Google do nothing for Linux....but using linux as well

we are not a people/customers for others Slightly frowning Face

One time poster
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

It is puzzling that Sony does not provide ANY support for Linux, a very robust and rich platform and environment.
It seems that Linux users have to turn to 3rd party vendors for their Sony support.

I hope that this changes in the future!

One time poster
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

I am very disappointed that Sony cannot be accessed, updated or fixed via linux. I spent many hours trying to install Xperiacompanion via Windows 7, and all it did was wasted my time. It rather wanted me to upgrade to Windows 10. This after I came to few fake sites, before I got a genuine Sony site, because Windows is very prone to attacks.