account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

STAMINA MODE(here we go again) -final clear up?

SOLVED
Inhabitant
Message 1 of 45
Message 1 of 45

STAMINA MODE(here we go again) -final clear up?

So I just got the Z1

- After googling around the net I have found several detailed explanations on how STAMINA MODE works. 

However, I still think it is unclear so bear with me:

I get the part about usage statistics/usage patterns being learned and all that. 

I also understand that if I whitelist an app it supposedly can get push-messages even when in STAMINA MODE and that apps like Spotify will still be able to stream audio - This last fact raises some questions however... 

What I still want to know is:

does the STAMINA MODE in effect turn off the Wifi/3G on a hardware level while allowing bursts of data through at timed intervals? 

OR

does it only prevent apps that are not on the whitelist from requesting/receiving data on a software level

(while still leaving the 3G/Wifi in an up state from a hardware point of view)?

do the usage statistics/usage pattern collection over time determine at what time-interval apps that are not on the whitelist are allowed to fetch data over 3G/Wifi? 

(for example, allow ALL traffic for 2 minutes every 10th minute while allowing WHITELISTED traffic through all the time). 

OR

Is whitelisted apps allowed to use data whenever they need to, while all other apps won't do anything at all while the screen is off? 

If the answer to question 1 is that all data transfer is disabled on timed intervals in the hardware for all apps and letting bursts of data through every now and then

(and the interval period gets shorter/longer based on whether the usage pattern is intense or not and what apps have a priority status because present in the whitelist) 

- then adding any application that uses push (IM, Exchange)  to the whitelist doesn't make much sense to anyone who wants their mail or IM to arrive when it was actually sent. I also think that if one has an intense usage pattern the constant renegotiation the device has to do to take the connection up and down in the hardware may even prove counter-productive. 

If the answer to question 1 is that all apps on the whitelist are allowed to go on about their bussiness as usual while all other apps are simply "frozen on a software level" while the screen is in an off-state then this feature is useful even when using IM/mail) and should basically be efficient almost no matter what scenario it is used in. 

I really hope for a complete clarification once and for all Slightly smiling Face

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 45
Message 2 of 45

Re: STAMINA MODE(here we go again) -final clear up?

Stamina works like a firewall at a software level blocking all apps that are not on the white list from communicating with the internet while display is off. It also prevents most background activities from waking up the system.

Stamina will not allow apps that are not on the white list to access internet at certain times while display is off. Only when you turn on the display or connect a charger they will be able to update. The usage statistics is used to estimate standby.

You can find some more information about Stamina here: http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013/04/03/how-sonys-battery-stamina-mode-works/ and here: http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013/04/04/5-coding-tips-to-make-your-app-power-efficient-and-optimi...

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

44 REPLIES 44
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 45
Message 2 of 45

Stamina works like a firewall at a software level blocking all apps that are not on the white list from communicating with the internet while display is off. It also prevents most background activities from waking up the system.

Stamina will not allow apps that are not on the white list to access internet at certain times while display is off. Only when you turn on the display or connect a charger they will be able to update. The usage statistics is used to estimate standby.

You can find some more information about Stamina here: http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013/04/03/how-sonys-battery-stamina-mode-works/ and here: http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013/04/04/5-coding-tips-to-make-your-app-power-efficient-and-optimi...

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 3 of 45
Message 3 of 45

Sorry if this is not the right place to post, but can I ask then why would I receive a message that (for eg.) "WeChat is preventing Stamina Mode from starting up" (I forget the exact words) but basically it seems that the app is preventing Stamina Mode from working.  The message asks me to add the app to the whitelist or turn off Stamina Mode...

Thx

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 45
Message 4 of 45

Stamina will not disconnect an active connection. Say for example that you are downloading a file using an app, Stamina will wait until the download is finished before it enables itself. Some apps may keep the connection active even if you're not downloading anything and that will keep Stamina from enabling. If so you get a message about this like the one you saw.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 45
Message 5 of 45

When I bought the phone, the battery stamina mod  in 5 days, 5 hours,,,, now after the new update . I emptied the battery 4 times and turn off the phone and fully charged about 5 hours, again with no effect, the battery now takes in stamina mode, 3 days and 4 hours ????

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 45
Message 6 of 45

This is because Stamina learns how you normally use your phone and the estimated standby reflects that. See this thread for more information: http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/Battery-time-and-enhancement-features/m-p/347874

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 45
Message 7 of 45

possible, but when I got the phone I had a day in stamina mode, is now reduced from 3 to 2 during the day and 3 hoursWinking Face although some use the phone, run through Facebook, several pictures sms.nekoliko, and the evening is already empty

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 45
Message 8 of 45

4 after charging. now phone in stamina mode gives better results, empty the phone to the end. and charge off after 3-4 charging, the phone gives you more hours of battery life thanks for the advice Slightly smiling Face

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 45
Message 9 of 45

Why stamina shows 10 days, sometimes 5 or 2 never shows how much battery really lasts .. from which it depends, or stamina mode does not work properly

Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 45
Message 10 of 45

This is because Stamina learns how you normally use your phone and the estimated standby reflects that.

The phone can never know how you will use it and how long the battery will last as that depends on how you use it. What Stamina does is that it guesses how long the battery will last based on how you been using it lately. This means that if you been using the phone alot lately Stamina will show perhaps 2 days as estimated standby. If you haven't been using it alot lately it will estimate perhaps 10 days. This keeps changing based on how you use the phone.