account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Plug in a new SIM card causing Z1 phone to do a system reset?

SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Plug in a new SIM card causing Z1 phone to do a system reset?

My Xperia Z1 is on firmware 14.6.A.1.236. (sim unlocked) I put in a new SIM card from another mobile carrier, then it says the phone will download new carrier's settings apn, blah, blah, blah, and press OK to reboot.

I thought fine, no problem.

To my surprise, it takes 20 mins for the phone to reboot and then BOOM!

---->All my phone's settings and apps/games are GONE.

The phone does it a SYSTEM RESET. Why didn't it say so BEFOREHAND? I have another phone from Motorola, if I plug in a new sim card, it just updates the LTE apn and etc. It won't do a SYSTEM RESET.

Whose freaking idea is this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Re: Plug in a new SIM card causing Z1 phone to do a system reset?

OK, it is my carrier's fault.

I talked to the higher-up tech support. They told me they want the phone to have a "customized" experience (pre-installed apps, cannot be uninstalled unless phone is rooted...). As soon as the sim card tries to download the LTE apn settings, it knows it is Z1 and does a system reset, with the carrier's pre-installed apps can be downloaded and installed onto the phone partition?

No wonder people use iPhone... I hate these useless apps and customized environment (e.g. the phone's built-in answering machine is disabled; I can only use my mobile carrier's voice mail service or no voice mail at all)

3 REPLIES 3
Emperor
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

@FrontierGate

I have used my Z1 with different SIM cards and I didn't experienced this, could you try again with 2 SIM cards ?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Hi FrontierGate,

I can advise that this is not a feature, there would be no reason for the device to reset unless some form of glitch occurred when trying to download settings which resulted in the issue.

This could have been caused by a number of things, such as third party security apps Anti virus, third party apps, Security policy from work exchange accounts etc.

However I cannot say I have seen this issue before personally.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

OK, it is my carrier's fault.

I talked to the higher-up tech support. They told me they want the phone to have a "customized" experience (pre-installed apps, cannot be uninstalled unless phone is rooted...). As soon as the sim card tries to download the LTE apn settings, it knows it is Z1 and does a system reset, with the carrier's pre-installed apps can be downloaded and installed onto the phone partition?

No wonder people use iPhone... I hate these useless apps and customized environment (e.g. the phone's built-in answering machine is disabled; I can only use my mobile carrier's voice mail service or no voice mail at all)