account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Keyboard won't learn new words or writing style?

One time poster
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

Keyboard won't learn new words or writing style?

On my Xperia keyboard settings, I have selected "Correct misspellings automatically or get word suggestions" and "Learn and back up my writing style". In "Use my writing style" I have selected "Learn from Messaging" and "Backup and sync" and in "My words" I have many words the phone has saved.

BUT when I type in any app, the keyboard doesn't recognise any of the learnt words and when I check in the settings option on the keyboard, and select "My words", there are no words there!

I didn't have the problem 2 weeks ago - how can I fix this?

16 REPLIES 16
Rookie
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Re: Keyboard won't learn new words or writing style?

I'm having the same problem. The keyboard does not want to learn new words (in any app/ sms/whatsapp/etc...), and delete all the saved ones.

Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

It would be worth resetting the keyboard itself in this case: Main Menu > Settings > Apps > All > Xperia Keyboard > Clear Data.

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Talent
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

I have the same problem with the Xperia keyboard. It saves words for a period of time and suddenly it deletes them and some times won't learn new ones and the "My Words" stays empty until I clear the Keyboard data. I tried to clear data and even factory reset the phone but it saves words for a wile and then the list is cleared and i lose all my words. I had this problem from the beginning and is very frustrating to build up a dictionary in time and one day all the words disappears for no reason.

I am waiting for someone from Sony Xperia Support to forward this issue to the developers. Or an answer if this issue is happening in Android 5.0.2 because in 1 or 2 weeks Sony starts to roll the lollipop for Z1

Talent
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

It's been over a week and 2 days since the lollipop update and  My Words are still there. I hope the issue was fixed. In the 4.4.4 version the words disappeared after 1 - 2 weeks so until another 1 or two weeks from now i can't be sure if the issue is still there.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

Had a few issues with the keyboard but believe them to lie in the fact that I have other keyboards installed along side the standard one.

• swift key issues
  • swift key separates all the letters that the finger points to (while trying to swipe words)
  • getting sticky keys, the worst of that one was once when the backspace key was activated and the whole of the text was wiped Alert

Check with you other keyboard app developer for support on this issue too

hope this helps

Talent
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

After a month i believed that the issue was fixed but this weak bang!! all my words are gone so the issue is not gone.

There is one possibility not to lose all words and start from the beginning, if you keep all sms messages that you sanded and make the keyboard relearn from them, but this is annoying.

Come on Sony fix the keyboard.  Angry Face Crying Face

One time poster
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

Mine started acting up 1 week ago, after updating software.

So frustrating. 

I have to keep keying the alphabets individually (I use keypad type keyboard)

Sony... deal with this problem.

I will see the list in "My Words" after I click "Learn from Messaging".

I'll be able to enjoy interruption free messaging for awhile.

It'll disappear after that. Go back in to check "My Words", the list disappeared.

This needs fixing!!!!

Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

@YoBabyYo

Are you logged on to your Xperia or Siny Entertainment Network?

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Talent
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

I had this issue before I used the  Entertainment Network or any services of this kind...

In the lollipop version the problem occurs less often then in 4.4.4 but is still there.

Until the issue is fixed....

the only workaround that is : Building a personal dictionary by keeping all the sent messages and making sure that you type them correctly when you write them and when a sufficient number of sms messages are sent you almost have your dictionary. Then use Backup and Restore app that came with your phone and backup only your sms messages and keep the backup on the phone. 

If the keyboard bug manifests itself again just relearn the words from messaging if you still have the sms or restore the backup of the sms that you did  initially.

For me the problem occurs once a month and i don't need my sms messages so i gather as much as i can so that the dictionary is complex enough and then I backup regularly. After I learn the words again i can delete all conversations from messaging app and only keep them in a backup copy...