account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Just question about SDXC/SD card for Z1

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Just question about SDXC/SD card for Z1

hi Support team,

I know that microSD™ card is up to 64 GB as SDXC supported for Xperia Z1(referring http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z1/specifications/#tabs ) but I am planning to buy 128 gb or more.Do you think that is Anodroid or Sony Phone would be supportted those memory ?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Talent
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Re: Just question about SDXC/SD card for Z1

The FAT and even the FAT 32 file system have some limitation regarding the different attributes that the file can have. Fore example on the old FAT file system there is a limitation that doesn't let you to write files that have filenames  exceeding certain numbers of characters etc.  The FAT 32 is the most used for compatibility reasons, it improved FAT standard but still has it's limitations. (Lockup the specification on Wikipedia). exFAT has evolve from FAT 32 with superior attributes(ex. you can writer files bigger than 4 GB) (Useful wen recording video and the file becomes bigger than 4 GB), it's a substitute where the NTFS file system can't be use because of the device compatibility.

In the past  i had some problems wile transferring files to the card using a sync application. I had some files that had long file names and because of the Fat 32 limitations the transfer ended with an error....

So if you use the card only in the phone and PC or other device that supports exFAT File System then I recommend formatting the card in the exFAT file System using the PC. For me this change increased the card stability and Z1 supports all those filesystems except NTFS. Take in mind that some USB CD players or Mp3 Players my not support exFAT and if you use those kind of devices you have to stick with FAT 32 which is widely compatible..

8 REPLIES 8
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Hi,

Xperia Z1 is tested with an SD-card up to 64 GB and that's the only thing that we can guarantee that it will work with. An SD-card up to 128 can work, but nothing I can guarantee. Perhaps you have the possibility to try an SD-card with 128 GB before you buy one to make sure about this.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

@Hampus,thank you very much for your kindness advice.

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

If it doesn't work then you can force format the card using guiformat and use the FAT32 file format

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

hi @Thommo,may i ask you one more question about SD card formatting?

-which file format (FAT,FAT32,exFAT) must I format SD card first before use it ( I really do not know) genally? or just use it without format the external card.

I'm normally spending time with Windows 8.1.

Thank you in advance.

Talent
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

The FAT and even the FAT 32 file system have some limitation regarding the different attributes that the file can have. Fore example on the old FAT file system there is a limitation that doesn't let you to write files that have filenames  exceeding certain numbers of characters etc.  The FAT 32 is the most used for compatibility reasons, it improved FAT standard but still has it's limitations. (Lockup the specification on Wikipedia). exFAT has evolve from FAT 32 with superior attributes(ex. you can writer files bigger than 4 GB) (Useful wen recording video and the file becomes bigger than 4 GB), it's a substitute where the NTFS file system can't be use because of the device compatibility.

In the past  i had some problems wile transferring files to the card using a sync application. I had some files that had long file names and because of the Fat 32 limitations the transfer ended with an error....

So if you use the card only in the phone and PC or other device that supports exFAT File System then I recommend formatting the card in the exFAT file System using the PC. For me this change increased the card stability and Z1 supports all those filesystems except NTFS. Take in mind that some USB CD players or Mp3 Players my not support exFAT and if you use those kind of devices you have to stick with FAT 32 which is widely compatible..

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

@alex00752 I think I am on your side and I have been formatting the card by choosing exfat since I turned to use either phone and PC. Thank you very much for your advice on this matter because this question is very important to me.
Talent
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

You welcome.

if you have other questions feel free to ask.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

I surely will.thank.