account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Hide SoftKeys Xperia Z1 - No Root

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Hide SoftKeys Xperia Z1 - No Root

Hi.

I have the Sony Xperia Z1 and the soft keys are probably one of the most annoying things I've ever come across.

Not only because they are takin up a percentage of the screen not truly giving you the 5" that Sony state. But they are also annoying when you are using the phone and suddenly you are taken to the home screen because you accidently touched the home button or the back button.

If any one knows a way to hide these buttons without rooting if really appreciate a reply. Thanks.

Also, if anyone knows what rooting actually is and does to your device if appreciate if you could tell me because I'm a little confused on that subject.
1) is it dangerous.
2) can I damage my device so I can't use it anymore.
3) is it like jail braking an iPhone.
4) will I still get sony updates.
5) is it worth the effort.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate everyone's support, I know i'm asking for a lot. Thanks again!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Hide SoftKeys Xperia Z1 - No Root

I cannot assist you with rooting your handset, however I can advise you that there is no supported method for removing the on screen buttons.

Don't forget to mark posts that answers the topic as Accepted Solution. 
If you find any post helpful, press Kudos.
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

5 REPLIES 5
Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

I cannot assist you with rooting your handset, however I can advise you that there is no supported method for removing the on screen buttons.

Don't forget to mark posts that answers the topic as Accepted Solution. 
If you find any post helpful, press Kudos.
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply. I guess if there is no 'supported' way of doing it its not 'safe'. If you get what I'm saying.

I appreciate the support. But I do hope that Sony take this into account for there future update (4.4) similar to the oppo. Thanks.
One time poster
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

We , the users, should have a petition so sony will understand how bad do we feel about it.
Visitor
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

But i would really appreciate if a sony rep explains why the on screen bottons that don't go away unless during video, why they can't just update it to be slide in and if they intend to do so in the future or is the update in theworksThinking Face

One time poster
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

There is a app immersive fullscreen which doesn't needs root and it works.