account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Help with the desk clock application

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 1 of 19
Message 1 of 19

Help with the desk clock application

hi there,  our cell phone sleeps with nothing but a dark screen.  So instead of the dark black screen, I'd like to activate the desk clock so that I can always see the time without having to on the phone. Is it currently possible on the xperia Z1?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Apprentice
Message 3 of 19
Message 3 of 19

Re: Help with the desk clock application

thanks for the fast reaction and solution. batter drainage is not an issue while I shall only use the setting during docking.Slightly smiling Face

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Emperor
Message 2 of 19
Message 2 of 19

The screen is dark becasue its off, just like when you turn off your TV. you can set up an app so you can always see something on your screen, keep in mind that this will drain your battery really fast

settings > display > screen time out > never 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 3 of 19
Message 3 of 19

thanks for the fast reaction and solution. batter drainage is not an issue while I shall only use the setting during docking.Slightly smiling Face

View solution in original post

Emperor
Message 4 of 19
Message 4 of 19

then use the SmartConnect app 

SmartConnect > Events > Charging dock 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 5 of 19
Message 5 of 19

Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 6 of 19
Message 6 of 19

Is there a way to activate the desk clock app when you place the phone into the dock? Since its part of alarm clock I haven't found a way to do it yet.
Apprentice
Message 7 of 19
Message 7 of 19

When you use the dock, you can personalise which app it starts. There will be  small blue icon in your notifications bar. For me, the whole docking system is flawed because I have rotate my head 90' to look at calls or make them in the dock. Pointless that the whole phone does not adjust ( sony bits anyway). Similarly, my work email forces security and that is still in portrait not in landscape. 

Message 8 of 19
Message 8 of 19

quote...The screen is dark becasue its off, just like when you turn off your TV. you can set up an app so you can always see something on your screen, keep in mind that this will drain your battery really fast

settings > display > screen time out > never 

I've followed this direction but "screen time out"> "never" is not an option.

It goes... settings>display>sleep>(15 secondsto 30minutes)

also you seem to imply you can do this within an app but i only see this available as a permanent setting for the phone.

The "Daydream" feature would ideally be used to allow the desk clock to show during charging or docking but it only gives a choice of SensMe slideshow or Google photos.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 9 of 19
Message 9 of 19

My problem exactly, JimmyJames!

Smart Connect allows automatic starting of the "Alarm & Clock" app from either the DK31 Charging Dock, the mains charger, or both, but not the Desk clock itself without dropping down the menu and selecting "Desk clock".  What'd be nice would be to be able to go straight to the Desk clock as soon as the Z1 is placed in the DK31 dock.

In any case, there needs to be some way of turning off the "sleep" mode for this app once in the "Desk clock", as it promptly reverts to the blank screen once sleep mode cuts in.  Makes it all rather pointless!

As you also say, "Daydream" does not give either "Alarm & clock" or "Desk clock" as options.

Any way to achieve an automatic "Desk clock" display that doesn't go to sleep?

One time poster
Message 10 of 19
Message 10 of 19

In smart connect choose the shortcut option for the action. Rather than the apps. Then you can choose clock. This will display desk clock when connected to the dock automatically. However, it will still time out as there is no option to set display time out to never.