account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Help!! Read Error, Try Again!!

SOLVED
Inhabitant
Message 1 of 30
Message 1 of 30

Help!! Read Error, Try Again!!

Hi, can someone please help!! I was moving photos and videos from various internal locations onto the SD card (cut and paste) and now my phone keeps bleeping and saying 'read error, try again' I did a shut down and restart but it's still saying it.  Argh what have I done!!!! 

I did a back up last night (thankfully) but PC Companion keeps freezing and crashing when I try and do a restore Slightly frowning Face

Also, I've just removed my SD card and done a restart and now it's not showing a 'read error' -- all I did was cut and paste from internal to SD card in Windows Explorer, did I do something wrong and how do I fix it?  I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 32gb Micro SD card

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Forum Legend
Message 15 of 30
Message 15 of 30

Re: Help!! Read Error, Try Again!!

Just a thought, do you use a case/cover where you can place a credit card or a similar card in? Or do you have your phone near any of these type of cards? If yes, make sure you don't have the NFC function activated in your phone and the unit tries to read the card.

You can find the NFC function if you go to Settings > More... > NFC.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

29 REPLIES 29
Sage
Message 2 of 30
Message 2 of 30

Hi,

maybe the SD card is defective? Did you try to remove it from the SD slot and checking the card somewhere else? If you did, it keeps saying "read error"?

----------
When everything have failed already, try to read the manual.
Kudos mean I am helpful. Am I for you? Then support me back Slightly smiling Face

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 30
Message 3 of 30

I have just removed the card from my phone and restarted and no longer a read error which is 1 positive.  I just now need to try it in my PC and see what happens.  Did I do anything wrong by cutting from the internal storage and pasting onto the SD card via Windows Explorer?  

Also, off topic but any idea why Sony PC Companion keeps crashing on the backup / restore page?

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 30
Message 4 of 30

Ok, I haven't tried it in any other device I shut down the phone reinserted it and turn on the phone again and now everything seems to be happy.  confused.com!  The weird thing was it didn't come up with read error until about 15 minutes after me moving files across.

Sage
Message 5 of 30
Message 5 of 30

The SD card can have some defects, it's not your fault. You did nothing wrong managing your files with WE, that's why this option is there - to use it. It's the fastest way to manage files anyway.

PCC could keep crashing because of this card - if it could not read/write in the memory, couldn't make/restore any backups. Try without the SD card if it still crashes, if it does, reinstall it (you won't loose your backups). But I could bet if you remove this card it won't crash anymore.

Bottom line, sometimes even high quality SD cards fail, it just happens. Also make sure it's at least SDHC card, older standards most likely will fail to work at all.

----------
Kudos mean I am helpful. Am I for you? Then support me back Slightly smiling Face

Sage
Message 6 of 30
Message 6 of 30

@stickypaws wrote:

Ok, I haven't tried it in any other device I shut down the phone reinserted it and turn on the phone again and now everything seems to be happy.  confused.com!  The weird thing was it didn't come up with read error until about 15 minutes after me moving files across.

This can happen if not the whole card is just broken, but when some little parts of its memory is defective. Until you find it (the file you are trying to write on/read from it) card seems to be ok. You should check the card on PC by formatting it and them filling it up entirely with files (big ones). Once you do, unmount/remove the card form PC/reader, put it back in, and try copy its contents back from the card to PC.

----------

Inhabitant
Message 7 of 30
Message 7 of 30

ok Slightly frowning Face just thought i'd try and put memory card back in phone and all seemed happy again, then it started saying 'read error, try again' so i removed card and have powered down phone 3 times and each time it still says 'read error, try again' so maybe not the SD card? (though i will still reformat card like you suggest). also, pc companion still won't restore my old back as it still crashes without SD card in. what do you suggest? would restoring the phone back to factory settings and if so how do i go about doing that?  kinda wished i'd not bothered moving movies and photos around 

Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 30
Message 8 of 30

So if you did a backup, there is another way, perhaps (let's hope that) it is some software problem.

Look for and install Sony Update Service. It can do a complete phone repair for you.

You can find it here:

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/update-service/

This will literally erase everything in the phone and restore it to it's factory state. It is very good you have the backup, because once the phone starts as clean you should be able to restore with PC Companion.

Try the SUS first, this is the last chance even if the phone doesn't start up or seems to be completely dead.

If that doesn't help, however, perhaps it is not the card's memory that's defected... every phone internal memory is just like those in SD cards, so...

But I keep fingers crossed.

Do a full repair via SUS (maybe you even get the new firmware at the same time if you still have old one).

Then try to restore, but avoid that SD card for now, this will help us eliminate potential sources of this problem.

----------

Inhabitant
Message 9 of 30
Message 9 of 30

did the SUS and all seemed fine UNTIL i connected it to PC Sony Companion and tried to restore my backup.  Again PSC just gave me a black screen on the restore page and crashed and this was after I'd I'd uninstalled and reinstalled and now it's bleeping read error again.  right now am wanting my iphone 5 back sob sob.  i just don't understand what's happened or what to do next

Sage
Message 10 of 30
Message 10 of 30

Seems that you have some defected unit Slightly frowning Face I'm very sorry...

This is extremely rare to have faulty memory in the phone.. hard to even believe it could happen :/

All you can do in this case is to return the phone, in such cases Sony doesn't make any problems, you should get a new one handed to you right away.

----------