account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Can't move apps to sd card

Enthusiast
Message 31 of 164
Message 31 of 164

Re: Transferring apps to SD card

I would love to hear a non-root solution for this one. It's very obvious that not many of us will be happy with just 16GB for every single app out there.

Veteran
Message 32 of 164
Message 32 of 164

It is nothing new in Android world, it was possible on older Android versions, so it is only a poor decision of Google/Sony not allowing us to move to SD card. Shamesung, on the other hand, allowed its users to move the apps to SD. 

Rookie
Message 33 of 164
Message 33 of 164

Thanks for the replies. Very surprised at Sony for not allowing transfer of apps to SD card. I think if it's going to take this line then it needs to offer more internal storage. I can't see its a problem with space or particularly cost of a bigger chip given size and cost of the 64gb card (SanDisk extreme) I put in? If this continues to be an issue will have to move away from Sony in future -which is a shame as loving screen and waterproof design for hill walking OS maps etc.
Enthusiast
Message 34 of 164
Message 34 of 164

Yes, there are indeed some extremely poor design desicions revolving this phone.

For one, the speaker is terrible, and is positioned in such a way that you will end up blocking it most of the time while playing games in landscape mode. Then, a few very important apps are incompatible (App Ops permission manager, for example); The inability to move apps to your SD card - this must be the lamest software-related issue, as it truly makes your 64GB cards useless and a significant waste of money. Excuse my language, but for a piece of technology of this rank to have such limitations... mentally-challenged decision at best.

These problems, however, can be accepted and lived with, IF the phone does not crash, or exhibit any of the >crazy< problems some of us have written about here. Because when you buy the best possible phone from Sony, you are in your full right to expect the best possible quality. This is not the case with Xperia Z1. I hope my phone remains stable and does not begin crashing or bricking itself in future. If that does happen, however, I will never ever touch a Sony product again. Some issues can be ignored, others are completely unacceptable.

Rookie
Message 35 of 164
Message 35 of 164

I FULLY Agree with you even though i have never had any issues with my Z1 as of yet, the biggest let down and disappointment is the fact i cant transfer my apps to my sd card. I spent A LOT of money for this phone and only to find out that i cant even transfer my apps over? You know im actually more upset than anything else because i been a sony fan since the walkman days... since the T28 Sony Ericsson days. Like you said... if this keeps on happening ill have to switch over to a different brand.

One time poster
Message 36 of 164
Message 36 of 164

Apps to SD Developers

Will Sony Developers be solving the issue that it is not possible to install or move Apps to the SD Memory. Considering the Mobile is developed to accept 64GB of Memory it would of made sense to make it available to Apps.

Veteran
Message 37 of 164
Message 37 of 164

Re: Apps to SD Developers

There a lot of people suffering this issue, unfortunately there is no official answer on this thread from Sony until now...

I hope they will fix the issue in next update. 

One time poster
Message 38 of 164
Message 38 of 164

Install Apps in SD Card

Hi all

How do I make app installation default to sd card

Emperor
Message 39 of 164
Message 39 of 164

Re: Install Apps in SD Card

You can not do so 

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/Memory-in-Android-devices/m-p/348064#U348064

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Emperor
Message 40 of 164
Message 40 of 164

Re: Install Apps in SD Card

There's one way to do so, but you will need to root your phone > partition yoru SD card and download an app (apps2sd)

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)