account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Can't move apps to sd card

One time poster
Message 10 of 164
Message 10 of 164

Function of 4.2.2

Dear developers, please add the possibility move applications to SD-card !!!

11gb is not enough for big games !!!

Emperor
Message 11 of 164
Message 11 of 164

Re: Function of 4.2.2

Memory in Android

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/Memory-in-Android-devices/m-p/348064/highlight/true#M8

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 13 of 164
Message 13 of 164

Re: Can't move apps to sd card

It's not possible as default since the internal memory is being used as mount for the Android system.

You can find more information about this here: http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/Memory-in-Android-devices/m-p/348064#U348064

Visitor
Message 14 of 164
Message 14 of 164

I believe, this is the case where Sony should give user the option to decide where to move their apps. The 16GB that this device have is totally not realistic in today's world application. Unless they upsize their memory or allow customs, this restriction is depriving us users to use our device more efficiently.

I think Samsung realize this and patch their S4 and newer devices. I believe Sony just have to keep up. Even if their device is candy eye, if unable to be used to its potential it is just another fancy paperweight.

BTW I used to be a Samsung S2 user and it is great, then a iPhone5 64GB which the interface and memory is robust to now, stuck with an Xperia Z1 that cannot even handle a few gameloft games without other apps depleting it's memory by more than 50% in a day... Can you imagine how troublesome now for me to carry my iphone and xperia just because I do not have enough memory to handle some apps even when I have a 64gb sd card.. 

Thought Sony had move pass "the phone is just a phone" mentality since ericsson time..  

Visitor
Message 15 of 164
Message 15 of 164

I Agree. I just bought the Xperia z1 and was about to buy a 64gb sd card and was shocked to realize that i can't store apps on the card. Im crazy about functionality and am sorely dissapointed by this.

Sony - i'm begging you to find a way to allow ur consumers to use the memory card for app storage . Please Slightly smiling Face

Visitor
Message 16 of 164
Message 16 of 164

Re: Moving apps

What do u mean by - " root the phone " ??

Highlighted
Sage
Message 17 of 164
Message 17 of 164

You always can root it and do what you want Slightly smiling Face

Just don't do this yet as it would break camera functionality, unlocking bootloader is buggy at the moment, just wait a little more and simply root & do what you wish Winking Face

----------
When everything have failed already, try to read the manual.
Kudos mean I am helpful. Am I for you? Then support me back Slightly smiling Face

Sage
Message 18 of 164
Message 18 of 164

Re: Moving apps

here you go mate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_rooting

----------
When everything have failed already, try to read the manual.
Kudos mean I am helpful. Am I for you? Then support me back Slightly smiling Face

Visitor
Message 19 of 164
Message 19 of 164

The process of rooting should not be necessary in the first place as this is an incompetent of the design. Why should consumer alter their device and void a warranty when the design failed to comprehend? I believe our request is very reasonable, after all we are all paying customers and the premium paid is compareable to those of other brands. Some brands even cost cheaper with more memory and edge over Sony. We support Sony but Sony really need to support their customers else we could always go elsewhere. It's bad publicity stunts.

Visitor
Message 20 of 164
Message 20 of 164

I have rooted mine, just a plain simple root but haven't unlocked the bootloader, so cetrain things like CWM don't work yet but it is definately rooted with no issues.  I used Vroot, lots of guides etc online for this and 360root from the day i got my Z1.

My question is how do I move apps to SD just by being rooted?  Is it simply find the partition where the APKs are and move in file manager?