account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Can't move apps to sd card

One time poster
Message 12 of 164
Message 12 of 164

Can't move apps to sd card

Hi,

I am holding xperia z1 and i am trying to move the apps to sd card but that feature is not in this device.Please enable that funtion as default in this device.I have used few apps to do this thing with the help of  mobogenio,app mgr  but no use.Please enable the option and soon realease android kitkat  its more appreciate.

163 REPLIES 163
Learner
Message 1 of 164
Message 1 of 164

Z1 apps to memory card

Just wanted to know how to move installed apps from the to the phone to sd card, this something I've been able to do for a while on my old Samsung galaxy s2.
Emperor
Message 2 of 164
Message 2 of 164

Re: Z1 apps to memory card

You can't do that with Xperias and or with native android as it no longer support this feature 

This should explain it

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/Memory-in-Android-devices/m-p/348064/highlight/true#M8

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Emperor
Message 3 of 164
Message 3 of 164

Re: Z1 apps to memory card

Your only alternative is to root your phone and then install an app such as: apps2sd to do so. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 4 of 164
Message 4 of 164

Moving Apps to SD Card

I'm expecting to receive the new Xperia Z1 (migrating from an iPhone 5). After reading tons of reviews, I find the phone quite amazing and I'm going to make the transition to the Android enviroment.

The only thing that I would like to know is if it is possible to move some big apps (like games an so) to the SD card as I bought a 64 Gb SD card. I asked my brother who owns a Galaxy S4 and he showed me it is possible (there's an option in the App manager to move apps to external memory).

Is it also possible in the Xperia Z1?, also, if it not, is there a way to do it?

Because in my iPhone 5 of 64 Gb I have tons of apps using a lot of memory, and I find 16 Gb very little space for big apps (like games that use more than 1Gb, educational apps, etc.)

Thanks,

Mauricio

Sage
Message 5 of 164
Message 5 of 164

Re: Moving Apps to SD Card

You can't move apps to SD card without rooting the phone.

But I would STRONGLY not recommend you to root it now, because there is an issue about unloking the bootloader. Just don't do that, or you will loose the camera functionality. Sony is working on it already, but now just hold on.

----------
When everything have failed already, try to read the manual.
Kudos mean I am helpful. Am I for you? Then support me back Slightly smiling Face

Visitor
Message 6 of 164
Message 6 of 164

I can see that. I wasn't even thinking on rooting my phone. How much internal memory is left by default for saving apps?

Now I don't see the purpose of having so much SD memory if you cannot use yours apps with it.

In the future, is rooting dangerous for the phone, I mean, after it is done, if you just use it for certain things (like in this case adding apps to SD memory) and never use it again; will it open a door for virus/malware or system malfunction?

Can you undone rooting and restore to factory settings again?

Thanks!

Emperor
Message 7 of 164
Message 7 of 164

Indeed its not worth it (to unlock the bootloader) just to get root access, just wai for DoomLord at the XDA forum to find a way to root the phone w/o unlocking the bootloader 

Message 8 of 164
Message 8 of 164

Moving apps

Hello

Is it true that i cant move apps on the Z1? Only music, movies and pic that can be moved too SD?

Is this something that WILL be changed in a update or can i just skip buying Sony and go to Samsung instead?

Highlighted
Sage
Message 9 of 164
Message 9 of 164

Re: Moving apps

It's true, you cannot.
At least until you root the phone - this is the only way to do this.
And this is not going to be changed in the future.
----------
When everything have failed already, try to read the manual.
Kudos mean I am helpful. Am I for you? Then support me back Slightly smiling Face