account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Z1 Compact microphone records unbalanced stereo

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Z1 Compact microphone records unbalanced stereo

Voice/music recordings on my Z1 Compact have a much stronger signal in the right channel than the left channel when I download the files and view them in an audio editor. This happens with Sony's Audio Recorder as well as with other audio recording apps. Is this a software issue, or am I going to have to send my phone in for service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Demigod
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Z1 Compact microphone records unbalanced stereo

Z1/Z1C uses secondary, so called noise cancellation microphone to make stereo recordings. It's audio level & quality is a bit different from the main unit, mainly because it's for different purpouses. But you can always normalize audio outputs using freeware Audacity. Just set normalization level to -3dB or 0dB.

Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Xperia Z3 Compact / Nexus 7 (2012)
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Demigod
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Z1/Z1C uses secondary, so called noise cancellation microphone to make stereo recordings. It's audio level & quality is a bit different from the main unit, mainly because it's for different purpouses. But you can always normalize audio outputs using freeware Audacity. Just set normalization level to -3dB or 0dB.

Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Rookie
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the prompt response, SergioPL. 

It turns out that I was using Audacity to check the stereo levels (because they sounded off-center through the phone earbuds), but I was not aware that I could "fix it in the mix" using Normalize. It's kind of too bad that one can't just forward a Z1 Compact audio recording to someone without having to go through this extra step, but it's not that big of a deal for me, since I rarely forward things unedited anyway.

Thanks for the tip.
Demigod
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

I think that if you find a program that records mono you will get single audio level but I would prefer corrected stereo rather than single channel.

Best regards,
Sergio PL

--