account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z1 Compact everything stopped working

SOLVED
Highlighted
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Z1 Compact everything stopped working

My phone has been having the usual not charging problem for a while, which is solved on and off by soft reset (red button under sim card cover) and force off/charge (holding power and volume down). 

The issue im having now is the phone turning itself on and off constantly, starting up, allowing me to out in my swipe code, then it keeps coming up with various things not working. 

Such as Xperia home not working, email not working, etc.  it wont allow me to do anything with it at all, cant access anything.  I tried the soft reset, doesnt work.  Ive tried to run the software repair through the pc companion, but it either cant access the device or the phone turns itself off before it can access it.

Im happy to Hard reset the phone, but I cant get that far as I cant access settings......

HELP!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Forum Legend
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

Re: Z1 Compact everything stopped working

If you have Pc companion installed and the phone

Performing a system repair using PC Companion - This will factory reset your phone and erase all data

Switch off your phone and unplug from Pc (Hold volume up and power for around 10 seconds)
Start PC Companion and select Support zone then Update my phone/tablet then in Blue Repair my phone/tablet and follow the on screen instructions - When prompted connect your phone still switched off holding volume down or back button - This should start the repair or reformat process

If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or a 64bit operating system then adjust the settings for PC Companion and run in compatibility mode and chose Windows 7 or XP

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

and on another note,  for the last two weeks, when calling someone they say they cant hear properly, like I have really bad reception, despite having full bars.

And the phone is outside its warranty!!! Surprise surprise!  Thanks very much Sony/Vodafone!  two year contract...one year warranty....brilliant!

Forum Legend
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

Depending on where you are in the world then you may wish to look at your consumer laws as here in the UK if we can prove there's a fault not caused by expected wear and tear or misuse then we can claim repairs under the inherent faulty good clause

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

I had a similar problem with my previous nokia, dying a year into my contract and sent it for repair, they said it had moisture damage, which I can guarantee hadnt been caused by myself, spoke to someone (on the inside) said that condensation can happen while the phones are stored, but there is absolutely no way to prove it, so I had to fork out for a second hand iphone until the end of my contract. 

I can pretty much guarantee a similar situation will happen again.  Phone manufacturers and contract providers are pirates!

anyway, does anyone know a way of factory reset while the phone is off?

Forum Legend
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

only a system repair could factory reset without actually turning your device on

Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

is that something I can do?

Forum Legend
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

If you have Pc companion installed and the phone

Performing a system repair using PC Companion - This will factory reset your phone and erase all data

Switch off your phone and unplug from Pc (Hold volume up and power for around 10 seconds)
Start PC Companion and select Support zone then Update my phone/tablet then in Blue Repair my phone/tablet and follow the on screen instructions - When prompted connect your phone still switched off holding volume down or back button - This should start the repair or reformat process

If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or a 64bit operating system then adjust the settings for PC Companion and run in compatibility mode and chose Windows 7 or XP

Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

thanks, will see if i can manage.....not hopeful with my IT skills though

Emperor
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

@totallyhackedoff

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

thanks, its doing it thing now....fingers crossed it works