account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sony Z1 Compact battery drop

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 251 of 318
Message 251 of 318

Re: From 80% to 0% in 1 seconds

I've been having the same problem, except that I've already replaced the battery a week ago in an effort to fix this.

I was on android Kitkat 4.4.2. Have been on lollipop briefly in the past (though no problems then) and now in desperation have flashed stock Jelly Bean firmware (14.2.A.1.114) to the phone in some last straw effort.

The drops are especially large after a reboot. At any percentage, if i reboot out of recovery, the phone won't turn on for hours or until I've put it on charge. When it does come back on, the percentage is miraculously about the same as before the drop.

I'm about to try this method to reset the battery calibration??

1. Turn off your phone.
2. Fully Charge.
3. When getting 100% signal, unplug quickly.
4. Pull off the battery and put it anywhere.
5. Wait for 180 seconds exactly (be careful )
6. Meanwhile, take this opportunity to dust off the internal compartment.
7. Put back the battery on the right side.
8. Turn on the phone.
9. Pray the Battery god
10. ... and voilà !

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

One time poster
Message 252 of 318
Message 252 of 318

@BearFox: how do you pull of the battery of a Z1 compact??

Adept
Message 253 of 318
Message 253 of 318

Had big issues with this as well, send it in earlier this year (back was bulging, did the spinning test) and had the battery replaced. (free of charge) This did the trick, still working perfectly after a couple of months. 

One time poster
Message 254 of 318
Message 254 of 318

Re: Battery Problem

Sony does not provide support to cell phones out of guarantee, even if you want to pay for it, so basically we need to change to other brand of cell phone, with a better service and support.

One time poster
Message 255 of 318
Message 255 of 318

Battery problem

My phone has the huge battery problem. One moment I have 80% battery, in the minute it's 0% and then it's shut down. I can't be sure if I have a chance to call or receive a call !!
What should I do? Can I fix it myself or I have to go to the repair shop?

Thanks

Highlighted
Learner
Message 256 of 318
Message 256 of 318

Re: Welcome to the Forum, please introduce yourselves!

Hello!

I am from Sweden/Gothenburg

Where everything started with Ericsson Radar Electronics, who were the very first radar that could lock it on a US "invisible" aircraft was made, and thanks to that they had a good idea of how to make a small phone that actually could be in a pocket because the signals are very close to what a radar are using, and they made one - but in the "military" vision they thought "we are done with this task" and started not to make any new model, and some years later they got another model out that not was the smallest at that time (think of what size we got on the "phones" these days) Slightly smiling Face

I have a Xperia Z1 Compact, since it came out the market and have the same problems as many other here with that the power suddenly drops from 95 to 0 in just a few seconds.

I will try to keep you updated in the thread about that issue because it's a strange thing: Is it Sony's "drivers" or the Android version that are causing this?    

Cheers from Sweden!

Enthusiast
Message 257 of 318
Message 257 of 318

Re: Welcome to the Forum, please introduce yourselves!

The battery is probably dead - you need to have it replaced.

Message 258 of 318
Message 258 of 318

Re: Sony Z1 Compact battery drop

Hi there, I've had the Z1 Compact for nearly a year and had no problems up until now (even following the dreaded upgrade). A few days ago I started experienceing the power drains and had a look around the forums, concluding that I probably needed a replacement battery even though mine showed no signs of bulging. Following the replacement I charged it up to 100% but woke up this morning to find it dead. Evidently this is NOT just a hardware issue. What should I do? I can't afford to buy a new phone right now and really like the Xperia models due to their small size, but equally don't want to keep using a broken phone or support a company that doesn't seem to be helping their customers!

Learner
Message 259 of 318
Message 259 of 318

My Z1 Compact became so hot that I thought it would be burning!
I had to put it on a heat resistant plate!

No buttons were working, the inside of them was probably damaged by the heat.

So the battery was working well, to produce such heat.

And it's was Very death

I got an answer from Sony's repair center:"The phone is not possible to repair" - and that was all!  

I have to accept a new phone that is a bit more expensive than in a shop 336.95 USD (2850:- SEK) -  or to leave my phone to Sony and get a coupon worth 30 USD (250:- SEK) for use in the Sony Mobile eShop 

I have not accepted this and have made a complaint, with all details.

I have been treating my phone very well during 2.5 years, I guess it's something wrong with the drivers on the phone, now it's too late to decide because the phone is damaged on the inside...

EDIT:
Today I got my answer from Sony:
After checking my phone they wrote: "It's not possible to repair", I asked them what might have caused this problem - It was water in your phone!! Because the rubber sealing was well-worn where the mini-USB connection is. 

- It was water in your phone!! Because the rubber sealing was well-worn on the hatch for the USB-connection.

I have almost never used that connection because I'm using the magnetic charger and my photos/videos are uploaded to two different clouds and into my computer that way, but I used it frequently during two weeks when my battery freaked out, and then died.    

I did see that a small part of the rubber sealing fell off, but have never had my phone in water, and have only cleaned it with a soft "Turkish towel" with some drops of water, and after I noticed that the hatch was missing a part of the rubber, I held it down so the hatch was facing the floor, and that was just 2-3 minutes before I put my phone in a box to send it to Sony, and that was the first time after the rubber fell off the hatch. 

So, in this case, it was impossible that it could have dropped any water into the phone.  

If Sony had stated that it concerned a water damage at the examination of the mobile, would have been a normal way, instead of telling me 'It can not be repaired' - So I don't believe them at all, this is only a nasty way to skip the repair of my phone! 

NOTE: The Only reason that this hatch was used several times/days during two weeks was Only because of the drivers/Sony's version of Android messed everything up, and IF the drivers would have been OK, so would my hatch also have been 100% water protected - a very tricky thing, isn't it??

- This is only a nasty way to skip the repair of my phone

Message 260 of 318
Message 260 of 318

Also I noticed something intersting with my phone: if I charge it after the battery drops up to a point BELOW when it usually cuts off (say to 35% or so) then it will run normally right down to zero. Anyone else have this?