account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sony Z1 Compact battery drop

SOLVED
Regular
Message 141 of 318
Message 141 of 318

Re: Z1 compact battery suddenly drops to 0%

I also bought a Z1 Compact about 1 1/2 year ago and also did have these sudden death battery problems. After reading this forum I initially believed it was the lollipop upgrade, but that is just not true. I can confirm now after having my battery changed my problem is gone and my battery performs the same way as when I first bought this device. So everybody, this is 1000% a hardware problem! Sony just build in cheap batteries into these devices that last approx.1 1 /2 year. Shame on you Sony! I will switch to Samsung or HTC when I need a new phone. 

The way you can tell it is your battery was posted before by someone: Put your phone on a flat surface on its back and try to spin it, if it spins your battery NEEDS replacement. 

After replacement I tried this test and guess what, it doesn't spin anymore. Forget the Battery Doctor apps, they are useless to fix this problem, don't refuse to believe it is a hardware issue. Sony just gave us a crap battery, that is all!

Highlighted
Message 142 of 318
Message 142 of 318

Re: Sony Z1 Compact battery drop

I had to send my Z1C to a repair center as the vibrator came loose.

After having it returned my battery life is much better, most likely due to a fresh install of Android 5.1.1

It spins when on it's back, but after a full day from 07:00 to 22:00 it has over 50%.

I use internet radio a lot ......

So my conclusion is that a fresh 5.1.1 solves the battery drain.

Visitor
Message 143 of 318
Message 143 of 318

I went back to Kit Kat!!! 5.0 made my phone useless. It dies on 50% charge it also keeps on optimizing the o's everyone I power it on.
One time poster
Message 144 of 318
Message 144 of 318

Hi, Compliments of the season to all.

Has this issue been fixed at all by Sony?

Is there an intention to resolve?

Rookie
Message 145 of 318
Message 145 of 318

Just to log that my phone has these same symptoms ie:- Phone gets to about 50 % charge, then the charge drops off at the rate of about 1% per second.  I have also noticed significant heating issues. 

As a work around I bought an external battery pack, but as I am now tired of walking around with both a phone and a charger, am about to go and get my battery replaced for £40, hope it works.

I want to mention that my phone rear cover has also bulged out to the extent that I can now put my fingernail beneath the cover - I think this relates to the battery bulging, perhaps due to overheating.  

I work in IT so am used to issue diagnosis.  Can't be certain if the issue is software (ie: something putting the phone into a 'loop') or hardware (just a dodgy battery).  I will be interested to see what the hardware fix does, maybe I will return to let you know.

By the way, Sony, I have been buying your phones for 20 years now (even before Android, when they were Sony Ericcson). This is pushing my loyalty to the limit.  I just looked up and the phone is 2 year's old - I expect minimum of 3 from a decent (and pricey) phone.

Enthusiast
Message 146 of 318
Message 146 of 318

damist: did you update to 5.0 or higher version?

Rookie
Message 147 of 318
Message 147 of 318

Yes, but I don't think the issue started with the upgrade. The issue started in France, and I did wonder if the slightly different power supply triggered it.

On Monday I had the battery replaced.  The engineer said that if I had left it much longer, the battery swelling would have cracked the screen.

Since Monday the phone worked perfectly, over 2 days between charges. No 50% sudden death.  Am pretty sure it was a battery issue.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 148 of 318
Message 148 of 318

I'm sorry to hear this Slightly frowning Face

I recommend that you first try to do a software repair using PC Companion to make sure this is not software related.

In case the battery still drops like this or doesn't charge full i recommend that you contact your Local support or a service centre for assistance.

@damist

Glad to hear that your phone is working again with a new battery.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 149 of 318
Message 149 of 318

Re: SOLUTION TO Xperia Z1 Compact, Battery discharging.

@Draaaaven Thanks For NOTHING, SONY SPAIN casually?

One time poster
Message 150 of 318
Message 150 of 318

Xperia z1 compact phone shuts down saying 1% after having 48 % on screen

Hello, my phone will be fully charged, then about half battery it will shut down and say 1 %