account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Screen freezes & phone shuts off on its own accord

Visitor
Message 1 of 32
Message 1 of 32

Screen freezes & phone shuts off on its own accord

Hi,

today my phone suddenly started to act crazy so I couldn't use it at all. It started to turn off on its own accord (frequency increased over the day to several times within minutes). When I tried to use it, the screen froze after a few seconds (sometimes I also was notified that either the software or the currently used app isn't reacting) so I either had to start it again manually or it somehow did so on its own accord. This even happened when I didn't do anything on my phone while being in the standby mode. Due to the constant shutting off and on again, my battery was drained really fast as well.

Since I didn't do any updates recently and don't know why all of a sudden my phone acts this crazy I wanted to ask if anyone knows what is wrong with my phone or how to fix it (it is about 2 1/2 years old so maybe it could be due to age)? Thanks in advance!

31 REPLIES 31
Emperor
Message 2 of 32
Message 2 of 32

Re: Screen freezes & phone shuts off on its own accord

@YingAn

how old is the SIM card? test the phoen without the SIM card and see if you experience the same issue. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 3 of 32
Message 3 of 32

I have the same dilemma. How did you fix it? Thanks

Rookie
Message 4 of 32
Message 4 of 32

I had this problem too yesterday, and also my gf, i fixed it using the repair software tool in the xperia companion from PC, be sure to backup first, didn't find any other solution.

Rookie
Message 5 of 32
Message 5 of 32

ok the problem came back after 1 day, sony?

Emperor
Message 6 of 32
Message 6 of 32

@MacGiyver

do you experience the same while on >>> safe mode

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 7 of 32
Message 7 of 32

@uliwooly wrote:

@MacGiyver

do you experience the same while on >>> safe mode

I can't verify because it seems to happen when you use apps or even try to create widget of downloaded apps that used to work just fine, and in safe mode I can't replicate these actions, both in safe and normal mode, if i don't use the phone it seems to work fine, it doesn't reboot itself, it happens only when i use it, I asked another friend with the same phone and it is happening on his phone too, so imho it's a problem android or sony side

Emperor
Message 8 of 32
Message 8 of 32

@MacGiyver

if you don't experience the same issue while on safe mode then it's a third party app that's causing the issue.

Rookie
Message 9 of 32
Message 9 of 32

Could be, but the fact is that I didn't install any app recently, neither my gf, and she's having the problem

@uliwooly wrote:

@MacGiyver

if you don't experience the same issue while on safe mode then it's a third party app that's causing the issue.

Visitor
Message 10 of 32
Message 10 of 32

Hi uliwooly,

I tried out what you suggested but still my screen froze and the phone turned itself off. Can't be the SIM card then but thanks for your suggestion!