account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Power and volume buttons suddenly malfunctioning, phone seems possessed!

Talent
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Power and volume buttons suddenly malfunctioning, phone seems possessed!

Hi all, I don't think anybody will be able to help here perhaps but worth a try.

My main phone is my Xperia X Compact but I still have my previous phone, the Z1 Compact which I like to use as my camera and running/walking tracker so that I am not always running down my battery on the newer phone, so up until now, I've still been using my Z1C quite a bit. The screen has been dying on it for a while where there will sometimes be corruption, but other than that it's been OK.

But last Sunday I went for a run and when I came back I realised that the power button was acting odd - I would hold it down to get to the power menu (shut down, screenshot etc) but instead of getting the menu, it would just flash the screen on and off, as if I was pressing the power button quickly rather than holding it (try it and you will see what I mean) Over the week this got progressively worse and now the volume up and down keys, oddly enough, 90% of the time do not work - instead they just bring up the power menu that you get by holding the power button! Also, I don't even need to press the power or volume buttons to get it to bring this menu up or flash the screen a lot like it does - I can just run my finger across them and the phone starts going crazy, even if I run my finger along the edge of the phone near the buttons, it registers as power/volume button pressed. Perhaps the most crazy thing of all is, the phone always switches itself back on after being shut down - almost like the power button is stuck in or something? 

I am going to try a software repair but I can't see it changing anything, this seems almost like an electrical fault to me (I am a bit concerned about the fact that the phone reacts just to my touch on the buttons without even pressing them - and I don't know if it's in my head but I am sure I feel the tiniest of electric shocks when touching the phone, so I am now trying not to touch it at all!)

Is it the end for my backup phone? Clearly not worth getting repaired, I just wondered if anybody had any ideas or any quick fix suggestions. I've grabbed all my data off the internal storage and copied to my laptop, but I will be a bit gutted if it's beyond saving as it makes a lovely backup phone. If I am going to be unable to use it, I need to find a way to get the battery out, as I am not happy about the fact that it will always be turning itself back on (or trying to)

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Power and volume buttons suddenly malfunctioning, phone seems possessed!

Hey @alex_ncfc, really sorry to hear that. Slightly frowning Face

What you are describing is most likely hardware related rather than software, but as you said it is always worth a shot to run a software repair using Xperia Companion just to make sure. It's really hard for me to pinpoint the cause as it has not been examined by a technician at an authorized service center, but I can let you know that this is the first time I hear of such behaviour.

I understand that you may not feel that it's worth having it repaired, but should you change your mind you are always welcome to get in touch with your Local support for assistance in doing so.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Talent
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the reply.

It is very odd, it seems as though there is some sort of electrical fault because pressing slightly on the screen causes the menu to come up that would come up when you hold the power button (screenshot, shut down, etc) It's frustrating because it only started happening just over a week ago and is now unuseable because the screen keeps flicking off and also it feels like it's giving slight electric shocks.

Obviously the concern for me is that it switches itself straight back on as soon as it shuts down, and I can't remove the battery to stop this happening and it makes the phone a potential hazard in my opinion. Is there an easy way to disengage the battery?

Also, how much do you think a repair or examination would cost from a local support centre, as clearly the device is now out of warranty.

Thanks

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Hmm, do you know if the device came in contact with water around the time it started occurring? It's very hard for me to know the reason, so I don't really wish to speculate since it could be completely wrong but that could be a possible reason.

My recommendation would be to press and hold the OFF-button next to the SIM area until it vibrates 3 times and then leave the device powered off, or does it power on by itself after this as well?

Service routines, warranty terms and repair costs vary on a market to market basis so I'm afraid that I'm not able to look in to the exact costs of such a procedure in your local market. Luckily, we have Local support teams around the world which are experts and well informed regarding local routines, so have a word with them to see if they can provide you with an estimate! Slightly smiling Face

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Talent
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Hi Emir,

Been a while since I posted on this thread but I have recorded a video of what happens when I try and use my old Z1 Compact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8XYGxo2nGc

Has anybody ever seen anything like this?? The phone has never come in to contact with water to my knowledge (and even if it had, it would just be the smallest possible amount, like rain drops, and as the phone is waterproof, I don't see this as an issue) but basically as you can see in the video it just seems to be acitivating the power button function/activity on its own rather than me pressing it. Also even just running my finger down the right side of the phone (where the power button and volume control is located) seems to send the same functionality as holding down the power button. As you can see, the screen is blinking because it thinks the power button is being pressed on and off quickly.

The phone still turns itself back on if I turn it off too, so it's got to be a hardware issue with the power button. I've taken the back off the phone (so that I can disengage the battery to stop this happening) but I can't access the power button circuitry, any ideas?

Thanks

The phone performs a power key press even when not pressed, and just touching either the screen or the power-button-side of the phone causes the key press to register as if you were holding down the power button. The screen is blinking because it thinks the power key is being pressed to turn the ...
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

In this case I'm afraid that I can only refer you to have your device sent to an authorized service center in order to have it examined as I mentioned in my previous reply. Slightly frowning Face

Talent
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Thanks Emir, I was just posting this to see if anybody else had any ideas of what could be going on. I don't really want to send it back to Sony as a) it would probably cost me £100s and b) it is only my backup phone. But it would make a very nice backup phone so I would like it to be functional, just don't have any idea as to what could be wrong.

Thanks

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Oh, thank you, I understand. It's very unfortunate to hear about what has happened, but from a support perspective I can only refer you to service, but of course it is up to you regarding how to proceed.

Visitor
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

My experience does the same no response to the power and down volume button

my grand daughters friend applied a pin password and now i cant even reset it because i cant get to the hard reset command thru the power volume....

is there a way to do this via phone.  The sony app i downloaded will not repair it without password.  No big deal. It’s stilla great camera !! Ha Ha.  20 megapixel. That’s why i bought it in 2014. Ask the guy at Northland mall   ... “ What’s your best phone for taking pictures “. I had just got back from Beijing and the Philippines trip and had my galaxy 3 phone stolen in Manila  and my shutter expired in Palawan as soon as i got there.  Ha Ha. Bad memories   But laugh now. Had my GoPro still at least. Anyway.  .. got off track can i get into this old Expedia of mine. ??  I think it in the electronics or possibly corrosion  on back of those buttons